Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955 Chevy 3200 question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by redneck reverend, Sep 26, 2011.

1. redneck reverend

redneck reverend

I did a couple of hours research and found my self still confused. I am buying a 1955 Chevy truck and I was looking at the VIN that's on the title. I know the guy who currently owns the truck and I already have the title. I saw the body tags etc last time I saw the truck. I know they are on there. I tried decoding the VIN from the title and it doesn't seem to match the codes. First off its only seven characters. The other codes didn't line up either. For instance according to what I read it should definitely have a 55 in it. It doesn't. Finally after a lot more reading I read something that said sometimes they were titled by the engine code or something. I will check the body and motor codes when I go to pick it up. Just wondering if any of yall have ever run into this issue. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, the engine number was used for registration and titling by many states until around 1970 or so.

Is it a 1st or 2nd series truck?

3. redneck reverend

redneck reverend

2nd. It's a 3/4 ton but title says 1/2 ton. But I know here in Tx the titles are often wrong on such details. Thanks for the info.

4. squirrel

squirrel

3200 is a long bed half ton. Does it have 6 or 8 lug wheels? 3/4 is 8 lug

5. redneck reverend

redneck reverend

Sorry, my knoweledge and experience with trucks is limited I've owned a ton of old cars but few trucks. That's why I'm so stoked on this one. It must be a half ton. It's 6 lug. I wrongly thought 3100 was a half ton and 3200 was 3/4.