Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1955 Chevrolet Biscayne

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Jun 5, 2024.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

1955 Chevrolet Biscayne

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: Jun 5, 2024
  2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Interesting note... A few years back, I got the opportunity to crawl around this concept car. While it did run and drive, it was all sort of an illusion. All of the gauges were fake, none of the switches were hooked up to anything, etc...

Anyway, it was sort of disappointing but also sort of cool to see behind the curtain... I imagined having the same opportunity in 1955 would have been like seeing a mirage of the future or some shit. I mean, it was real... it was right in front of you... but it wasn't.

3. Silva

Silva

In that side profile, I see a lot of early Corvair ...

4. Staggering difference from a 6 year old 1949 Chevy for example. Only Stude & Ford had anything close at that time. Beautiful car!

Sharpone and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  5. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

For sure. Especially the windshield and rear end treatment. From having been around a number of GM concept cars, I am always amazed to pick out certain styling aspects that were 3-5 years ahead of their time, and how those ideas eventually worked their way into production models.

Jrs50, Sharpone, SS327 and 3 others like this.
  6. Squablow

Squablow

I've always liked this car, but I think I'd like it even more if the headlights were hidden behind the front fender pods like a '65 Riviera. Obviously I'd never modify the original. But if I were building a clone, I think I might at least make 2 hoods. Everything else, I really like as-is.

1955-Chevrolet-Biscayne-Front.jpg

7. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amazing the amount of detail that was incorporated into this very cool, concept car.
    I love everything about this particular design.
    Even the radical, combination, jumping spider/bug eyed sprite/veg-o-matic/friendly Frankenstine front grille work, is very appealing!
    The longer you look at it, the more beautiful it is!
    What a shame, that GM didn't put this concept, into production!

8. So much stuff seems to come off this car over the next decade or was at least inspired by it.

The side coves for the upcoming Corvette refresh (although flipped), the tail foreshadows the Corvair, the windshield is what was coming in 1959. The bucket seats are like what we would see in Impala's in 62. The dash has lot of cues what will come in 58.

Just shows though how far ahead design is with ideas compared to where actual production is.

9. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

There is so much early Corvair in there. It's what I assume the Corvair might have been if Ed Cole decided to make it a luxury car instead of an economy car.

I have never seen this one before, so thanks for sharing it. It is a beautiful concept car!

Sharpone, Tim and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  10. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Butterface

JalopyJimbo, Silva and Dan Hay like this.
  11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It's weird to me that so many pictures of this car exist... both before and after restoration... and very few feature a rear 3/4 view. And the rear 3/4 is by far and away the most attractive angle of this thing:

rear.jpg

12. BigRedRivi

BigRedRivi

Opinions are like...everyone has their own opinion and to me this ones buttugly! I much prefer the '55 Chrysler Ghia Falcon and the GM Futureliner bus. I actually met Joe at one of his night clubs in Illinois back in the mid-'80's when I lived there. Unfortunately I really didn't get to know him but I do remember the disc jockey spinning records from the front of a '55 Chevy and he also had couches made from the rear ends of a'57 Chevy and a '60 Caddy with the huge tail fins. I still have the satin baseball jacket he gave me with the '57 on the back and the list of the half dozen Blue Suede Shoes clubs he had. Those were the days!

SS327 likes this.
  13. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

After several minutes of viewing the side coves are still making me think the car's front is the rear.

Maybe just because I've been looking at Corvettes and Studebaker Hawks and Lincolns for decades.

I wonder how I'll feel about the Biscayne in 2064.

14. Ziggster

Ziggster

I like it. Some incredible talent back then. I thought the faded hood ornament/plaque looked out of place, being faded/dull. Looking more closely, I noticed some fleur-de-lis. What’s the significance of the fleur-de-lis on the Chevrolet plaque?

1543AD19-F9CD-4F63-8F7A-C28EAEC355A1.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 5, 2024
    Sharpone likes this.
  15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I love that they left it unrestored and real.

Louis Chevrolet was a Frenchman… and the fleur-de-lis represents peace and prosperity or some hippy shit like that.

Sharpone, SS327, Ziggster and 3 others like this.
  16. squirrel

squirrel

The back looks more like a 61-67 Vette than any other car, eh?

Sharpone likes this.
  17. Oneball

Oneball

I wonder if they had an early 1950s Jensen floating around when they designed that.

Sharpone likes this.
  18. Gr8laker

Gr8laker
    from Michigan

Back in the nineties, I heard some old GM concept cars were found at Warhoop’s Auto Parts. The yard is/was located about seven miles north of the GM Tech Center. The story goes someone sent them to Warhoop’s for scrapping, but the owner stashed them in the yard somewhere out of the public view.

Sharpone likes this.
  19. Gr8laker

Gr8laker
    from Michigan

20. KenC

KenC

Beautiful car. Lots of styling details used in later GM stuff. Did any other idea car from GM have rear suicide doors?

All that good stuff, then they used the name on the cheapest car line Chevy offered in later years!

Sharpone likes this.
  21. Ziggster

Ziggster

Had to Google him. Had no idea. Seems even the origins of the Chevrolet symbol is somewhat lost to history.

Sharpone likes this.
  22. TRAVLR

TRAVLR
    from NC

Louis Chevrolet was born in Switzerland.
    The fleur-de-lis emblems on Chevrolets is a representation for GM of Canada division... According to literature on Chevrolet history.

23. Interesting that now, in my mind “Biscayne” is synonymous with the plain Jane simple Susie model that it eventually became in the Chevrolet lineup.

Sharpone likes this.
  24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Here’s what Chevrolet.com says:

25. Jim Wood

Jim Wood

I just love to watch and listen to the video. The music, the models, the voice is so 50's really cool as I remember this. My dad always took us to the Chicago Auto Show each year to see the new cars. It was very formal in those days you can see everyone is dressed up. I grew up in South Bend In. so only 96 miles to Chi Town. The lady across the street from us was the secretary to the President of Studebaker so she sometimes drove new models home and to work. My neighbor two door east was President of Mercedes North America. He came home one day with a silver, red leather Gull Wing SL that had been Clark Gables "Free CAR" until he passed away. Cool memories from days gone by.
    Woody

Sharpone and rod1 like this.
  26. Here is the car at Warhoops:
    image-1.jpg image.jpg

Dan Hay, Sharpone, rod1 and 5 others like this.
  27. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

We're talking about a time I loved,mid 1950s,**> Just a few blocks down the street from my home,a short bike ride for us car crazy teens.., Coconut Grove Florida was the big Dinner Key Auditorium,,This giant place,had been not long before,a huge seaplane base.
    In the mid 50s in became for two years, in a row>" General Motors' Motorama show at Dinner Key Auditorium"

We had 14 teen car crazy guys,all lived with in a 5 block great neighborhood ,and groups of us got together nearly every day to go to the big show :D the hole time it was open both years. To us it was max fun,an free.
    It was a little updated the next year,with extra cool stuff added.

GM did not have the show there a 3rd time,but there were big car shows done every year after anyway by promotors. About 2 to 3 a year,one would be for all the new car models*{ All the Miami Car Dealers*,and other shows for rod and customs. By 59 I had my hotrod in my first show,then 1960,I had my own full custom "J" in it's first show there.
    Yes,Dinner Key was a very big deal in deed.:cool::D

Last edited: Jun 6, 2024
  28. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

LOVE the car but agree on the butterface. It's as if Ed Cole & Co. took care of the design work from the cowl-aft and brought in Nash/Healy designers to do the front end 'frog face' with Buick teeth.
    • Are their alternate design drawings with a different front end?
    • A 2door version?
    • I wonder how GM felt about Warhoops 'breach of contract' (even though the GM rep signed off on the cars' destruction) when the cars surfaced and were sold to Bortz? (i'm elated to see the cars' survive!
    • Dig the 3/4 rearview. I have to think it may have inspired the wheel well/quarter/taillight work on his Mystery Ford, 51 Victoria Custom...

Sharpone likes this.
  29. Ziggster

Ziggster

Damn! I recognize those taillights of the car underneath it. Can’t remember much of yesterday, but knew instantly what it was.

Sharpone likes this.
  30. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Many years back I read about how the (Chevrolet) bowtie originated, don't quote me but goes something like............
    Louis was staying in a hotel somewhere and there was a torn piece of wallpaper hanging loose on the wall in his room, seems he had been struggling to come up with a logo for his company and when he saw the shape of that piece of wallpaper, he had a "lightbulb moment", maybe I dreamt it!

Sharpone likes this.