Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1955 Cadiallac Convertible Conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grease4life, May 25, 2011.

1. grease4life

grease4life

I still need to fit the dual fan mount but here it is painted and mounted.
    9A99B13D-orig_zps9e807720.JPG

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  2. grease4life

grease4life

Here is the front view.
    7B9C37C9-orig_zps04edd037.JPG

3. grease4life

grease4life

Just Finished the rear disc brakes and plumbing all the stainless lines!
    F6F59BB7-orig-1-1.JPG

4. grease4life

grease4life

The cross member for the 2 piece drive shaft is son in place as well. driveshaft2.JPG

5. grease4life

grease4life

On a side note, our Sled Kings car club had a great time at the Mooneyes Christmas Show!
    408BE050-orig.JPG

6. grease4life

grease4life

Rear brakes in and shock tabs mounted.

[​IMG]

7. grease4life

grease4life

Pretty crazy and complex pic. Meant to show that the header is now bent out of the way of running into the steering linkage. Also show the installed shifter, bent steering arm on the new rack, and brake lever.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  8. grease4life

grease4life

Engine in. Radiator core support, and fans in. Exhaust and brake lines in and bled. Hydraulic lines to hydro boost and power steering in. Was trying to get test drive out of the way and drive to Temecula Rod Run. Worked into the night and couldn't get to it to the point were I would be comfortable driving an hour and a half for first test drive...

So left and polished up my late grandpa's 40 Ford to drive to the show.
    40ford.JPG

9. grease4life

grease4life

My dad finished about a year ago his 65 k-code GT Fast back. Got this cool pic from my phone following him to the show this weekend.
    reflection.JPG

10. grease4life

grease4life

The floor covering over the trans is now welded in place and sealed. Now to work on the hole in the rear were I cut for the drive shaft.
    wire 3.JPG

11. Nice progress. Hoping to get some wrench time in this weekend on mine

12. 50 chevy matt

50 chevy matt
    from UK

Just read this thread and there is some great work going on there

i love this year cadillac and would love one myself one day

all the best with the build
    Matt

13. grease4life

grease4life

Good... I haven't seen any updates from you in a while!

14. boomosby

boomosby

keep going man!

15. _sir_charles_of_reno

_sir_charles_of_reno

16. BoB Beeman

BoB Beeman

All I can say is , Great job ! Very Very nice . You should be very proud . Thank you for shearing your great work with us . Can't wait to see it cruzing down the Avenue .
    Look at that Cadillac look at that .

17. grease4life

grease4life

Ok I think I may be more excited about this post than any other progress posted to date... No more working in friends side yards or borrowed shop space on the weekends after close of business. I finally got my own shop/man cave! (Complete with frame stretcher, in ground lift, and next door neighbor has a paint booth he said I could use any time!) Delivered most of my tools a few weeks ago, but there was a TON of junk that accumulated over 30 years in this place. Just finished cleaning and organizing everything yesterday. Here is a pic of everything in its place. Still need to bring down the engine hoist, welder/tanks, and rest of car parts. I hope to bring the Caddy down next week as well and get back to work!!!
    shop6.JPG

18. Daaaaaaang ! Nice looking shop. A person could build a cool thing or two in there

19. I really like what you are doing with this car. I look forward to seeing your progress!

20. 55CadillacTed

55CadillacTed

congrats danny. lookin good

21. Styleliner

Styleliner

You are sure a dedicated car guy... It's awesome. And a good thread to follow.

22. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I have shop envy.

23. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Let me say too that I like your use of the hydro-vac. I wish now that I'd used one in my Diamond T, instead of hanging the big ugly MC and booster on the firewall in the already crowded engine bay. Would have been WAY better, and, my 6.0 already had the PS pump with the extra port. Sigh...

Maybe I missed it, but did you build your own harness?

Brian

24. grease4life

grease4life

I don't remember what I paid (but VERY reasonable) to Wait4me Performance, but they did the PCM tune/flash for like 180 and cut away my extra wires off the original factory harness for like an extra 60. I had to buy an OBDII connector and install it for future diagnostics made easy. I then made custom length front O2 sensor wires and spent about 3 hours on my living room floor laying out and taping the harness. I then bought 4 different size wire looms and added those for additional heat protection and tapped the ends and joints where they met each other. This is the cheapest way to go. If you start trying to buy (let alone find) all the connectors you will need to make you own, it comes out cheaper to buy a used one and even pay these guys to "trim" it way down for you.

25. South_paw

South_paw
    from America

Just an FYI. The chassis is different between the coupes and the verts. The vert chassis has a much thicker X. It's almost twice as thick as the coupe chassis. This was obviously done to increase the rigidness of a convertible body. As mentioned, even with the thicker X. The factory verts still had a lot of flex to them. I'm curious to learn how flexible your ride will be when complete.

26. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Not to hijack, but 20 years ago, I cut the top off a perfectly good Sedan DeVille, shortened it through the rear doors, made it a 2 door, and converted it to a convertible. To say that my engineering skills at the time were lacking might be generous, but the car had no cowl shake, handled well, the doors opened and closed

I say, cut the tops off, convertibles are more fun than a dumpy old coupe or sedan.

Brian

perfectly with the jacked up at either end, or in the middle. I think this build will be just fine!:D

27. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Pay attention to security at the new shop... Too many break-in threads in the HAMB already. Webcams if you can swing it so you get pics of what's there when you aren't.

28. grease4life

grease4life

Thanks for the tip! I got a spare computer from my father-in-law and the video card for cameras from a friend. Now I just need to order a couple cameras and will be rolling. Also, the shop does have a gated yard with 10' fence and barb wire on the top so that helps too. But def going with a couple cameras. Thanks for the extra push.

29. grease4life

grease4life

Brought the Caddy over today! Hoping work on it will commence once I get some time in the next few weeks.
    To do list:
    Cut and mount rear convert trim
    Shorten gas filler 1/4-1/2"
    Chop convertible frame
    Section 2 1/2' out of window frame
    Finish rust repair
    Secret project on original gauges (Need to source gauge clusters from 54'&56' Cads)
    Finalize and execute modification to side trim
    Smooth fire wall
    Finish welds on rear license french
    Modify rear bumper with purchased donor bumper
    Finish trunk weld up around bags
    Install front bags
    = This should occupy my next few months and get er closer to paint and interior!
    shop5.JPG