Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955 buick rear end

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by erock805, Nov 14, 2011.

1. erock805

erock805

I am looking forward to getting started on the wifes Century...but I really need to get the rear suspension and diff sorted out. I have settled on a small block/700r4 for this car. I want it cheap and reliable and simple for my dumb ass. The rear has had modifications to it and appears to be a torque tube ( I really dont know) ...can that be easlily converted with a bolt in typical yoke? Or should I replace the rear all together?

The suspension looks welded very well...just not happy with it. looks like a gm 4 link setup of some sort..

The rear end measure 57 and a half inches from backing plate to backing plate...seems wide as my 60s c10 stuff is like 55'"s

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. belair

belair

Missy's Dad (I think that's his user name) did a post on his nice 2 door sedan that got a Chevelle (I think) rear end under it. Also T or Z-man (I get them mixed up) put a Jag IRS under a 57 Buick and posted the build. I

3. erock805

erock805

yeah I saw that jag info...cool but I am a simple man. Thanks tho. I think a rear end out of a square chevy truck will work and allow me to keep the 5 on 5 pattern.

4. csimonds

csimonds

Yes I believe from what I have read that you need to swap the rear-end, I thought one guy did a camero, another was a nova or something like that. Good luck!
    Chuck

5. ArchangelKustom

ArchangelKustom
    from NR/OH

I did a 56 awhile back and an early bronco 9" fit perfectly. I think they have a 5-1/2" bolt pattern though. It worked for the owner since he had the multi-bolt pattern steelies from Vheel Vintiques

6. erock805

erock805

Thanks for the ideas...Need to know how wide a chevelle is

7. ecna

ecna

'84-'87 Turbo Regal (Grand National) has an 8.5 ring gear, 3.42 ratio, usually a posi and have held up extremely well under some fast cars. They are 58" drum to drum. A friend of mine just put one under his '56 Buick with great results. I actually wish I had one in my car... mine has a Jag IRS.

8. ecna

ecna

Actually that looks like an 8.5 in there now. It's a pretty bulletproof rear. I think that GM trucks had that big flange like that. I'd deal with the driveshaft issues and leave the rear alone.

9. erock805

erock805

Wow...didnt even know what a Cardon joint was. Never seen one (not torque tubes either...just guessed)

I would love to keep whats in there. What do I need to mate it to a regular old drive shaft?