Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955 Buick 4dr build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by holt1, Sep 4, 2013.

1. holt1

holt1

Here's some pictures of the 1955 Buick four door beast that I recently procured! It is incredibly solid and needs very little in the way of work to the floor pans. It has a rebuilt 322 nailhead that came with it and I think I am going to put the three speed standard back in it and leave it on the tree! I really like the look of the back driver's side tire on it so I am going to source a set of those and possibly re-stitch the interior, run some exhaust out the back and cut the coils front and rear. Pretty stoked! :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

nice ride, welcome to the HAMB

3. 'Mo

'Mo

If I'm not mistaken, your rear springs are "pig-tailed" (taper-coiled) top and bottom. If so, cutting is not an easy option.
    Eaton, or some other spring company, can supply you with shorter springs.

4. holt1

holt1

Hey thanks! I was wondering about that actually. It sits pretty low already so after getting the tires on it and on level ground I will take a look. I will probably take your suggestion as I'm sure springs aren't really very expensive.

5. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I am luvin it! My first car was a two tone blue 55 Special that my dad bought new and I got when I was in the 8th grade when he traded up to a 63 Wildcat. I drove the wheels off that old Buick and it was bulletproof. Good luck with it, can't beat them old nailheads!!

6. 1955IHC

1955IHC

Looks like you're got a solid start.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. If your rear coils are pig-tailed,you can use rear lowering coils for 67-72 Chevy Pick-ups. They make coils that will lower the trucks up to 5". You will want to take a measurement(height) of your coils and estimate the drop based on the height of the lowering coils. Understand,it will be guessing. The spring rates vary. Another thing you can try is 68-69 Chevelle coils. They are pretty cheap,maybe $50.

8. guitard

guitard

That car's great already! What a good place to start.

9. Billy_Bottle_Caps

Billy_Bottle_Caps

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great old cruisers, I had a 55 Special 4 door hardtop in 1966/67 that I had a lot of fun in.
    Keep it simple and don't get caught up in sticking a lot of chrome doodads on it.

11. deadendcruiser

deadendcruiser

Yes your springs are pig tailed. Eaton will make any size drop you want. Used them on my 56 and they bolted right in. Good start for a custom, keep us updated.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  12. robertsregal

robertsregal

Looks like a great project and solid to start with and the 322 is rebuilt,rock on Nailheads Rule!

13. jonpentz

jonpentz
    from wyoming

Nice looking car I love the rear wheel look also

14. holt1

holt1

Wonder why this was moved to "general discussion"? Not that big of a deal really, just curious.

15. selliott

selliott

Hey Holt, where are you located. Did I notice a double T sticker in the back window? I am in Lubbock and really need some HAMBers with Buicks. I have a 1955 four door hard top. I need parts including an automatic tranny.....

16. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Get in touch with Bob at Owens salvage, Wellington Tx 800 798 2581 great people long time H.A.M.B. vendor

17. GearSlammer

GearSlammer
    from Rogers AR

hey holt, i recently ordered some rear 3" drop coils from jamco. $220 and two weeks later i had them installed.

18. selliott

selliott

Hey Texasred, thanks for the advice! I got ahold of him..... He has two 55 models both missing the trannies. Oh well, looking is half the fun...

19. holt1

holt1

Thanks! I wil order some when I get there for sure!

20. holt1

holt1

I'm in Austin. I Pm'd you.

21. louminn

louminn

Looks Great!! I too just bought a 55 special this summer. I was hoping to "wrench on it" this week during my vacation, but tweaked my back. so keep us posted on your progress.

22. igorsgonemadd

igorsgonemadd

Just curious how this is coming? Very cool car!

23. belair

belair

I had a 55 that was a Special that I think had been made into a Century. Four holer, emblems, but not the interior. Anyway, it did not have a 322 but a 264. It was a stick like yours. Anyway, Specials most often came with the 264, not the 322. The 3 speed behind a 322 is a lot stronger than the one behind a 264. The 264 transmission has five bolts (on the top cover, I think), the trans behind a 322 has 6. The 322 will kill a 5 bolt trans real fast if you abuse it. A 264 does not have a harmonic balancer, a 322 does. These are wonderful cars, but it is challenging to change the suspensions or transmissions. I have some stuff if you are interested, but it's not cheap.