Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1955 Belair *First build thread!*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnybsic, Sep 1, 2010.

1. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

I had my rods resized, and ARP studs installed. Also I had a "Slow day" at work, Luckily on a day they were doing NDT training. Whats a guy spossed to do???
    Brought in my stuff and they showed me how to check um out using Zyglo flourescent particle...Stuff
    Its a really cool process, you spray on the green. let it soak. wipe it off. spray a "developer" on. Then it it with a UV-a Lamp, If there ANY cracks or hairlines they will be seen Bigger than Sh*t.

This was mainly for fun. They turned out Good. And I learned how to do it. I'll be having "Mag particle" training next week when i bring in my cylinder heads:D

Its been awsome weather out here, So im in the mood for hotrodding, Gotta get this paper weight moving :(

Heres a picture i took leaving the shop, I thought it was pretty damn cool.

See ya!

Attached Files:

2. 1gearhead

1gearhead

great car to build. and that it will have some sentimental history is very cool too. Keep us posted.

3. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

4. Your car kicks fockin ass!

BUT

*just my opinion*
    and I'm not funding the project.

If my grandpa gave me an engine with a X-C96 cross ram and a set of M/T finned covers they would be on the car. Every time I opened the hood, it'd make me think.

Find some rectangle heads. You have a desireable 512 casting block that probably had those heads on it before the oval ports. Sell your old rearend and heads. Put that in the 'square head' fund.

you alrady have the bad ass street car / drag car theme
    carry it all the way through.

radiused wheelwells: check
    fenderwell headers: check
    4 speed: check
    Hipo 512 block: check
    posi: check
    square port heads: ....
    grampa's cross ram: ...

I'd look for a Muncie trans too. You'll scatter 2nd in the BW with the power you'll have available (depending on how it's treated but I'd break it). Some of those gears are extremely hard to find. Depending on the T10's 'numbers' it could be fairly valuable.

did I already say your car kicks ass?

OK get back to work.
    We're all waiting to see your progress.

cool tool
    [​IMG]

5. FoxSpeed

FoxSpeed
    from NorCal

All good man, All good.

6. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

car looks good and you can run the cross ram i have done it many times . you can not run oval port intake with rect heads thou
    32v

7. mt94ss

mt94ss

Nice photo... [​IMG]

Glad it's coming together. I have the same tranny problem. My 4-speed is a wimp with any power, and I have around 400hp. Would like to put in a muncie, but limited $ and can't find one anyway. I hope to have time to work on mine this fall.

Keep going and keep us posted.

Mike

8. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Thanks for the words guys.
    I spent yesterday with my bud going through cams and such. It looks like im settled on a COMP XE284H. should be plenty...but no too much.
    244-252 @ .050
    Solid lifter.
    It will be rumpity and a little pissed off.
    Best part it, the torque cure looks KILLER. staying above 500ft lbs from 3k-6,500 rpm.

After all, Its not cool unless it runs. Right???

Also I was at a local show this weekend and spotted an older Torker 2-0 intake. Its for Oval ports and I got the guy down to 50$ including a throttle/ kickdown adapter plate & a Pro-flo filter. Figured the price was right so i picked it up. Im gonna bead blast it and I may swap it, or run it untill i get the rest of the car dialed in.

Im pretty much flying by the seat of my pants to get this thing going.
    that and killin' overtime to finance it:D

Attached Files:

9. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Forgive me if this is a BS update, But im bored at work so here ya go.
    Didn't have much time last night to get much done.
    I cleaned up the torker intake I bought, All threads are lookin great. I had to clean some out carefully with a tap, but didn't pull any metal out (Surprise!)
    Im leaned toward running this untill i get the rest of the car dialed in.

BTW. A Tap & Die set has GOT to be some of the best money i've ever spent.
    I got it at Hardly Great, But so far its a great set. Inexpensive too.

Attached Files:

10. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Subscribed. Definitely save up to run the cross ram and finned valve covers if you want to keep the right vibe. It won't be cheap by the time you get into carbs, linkage and accessories. But it will be killer unique and cool.

Looking forward to updates.

Check this out for some motivation.

www.fotki.com/redlinetoys/

Scroll down to the tri five gasser album a ways down and prepare to spend a few hours at your desk.

11. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't wait to see this thing done.

12. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Thanks for checking it out guys.

Im still checking out your photo galley redline, Some really really cool stuff there!

Im considering cutting back into the firewall, making a bit more clearance (The motor has a little bit of a set back, We made pockets on the firewall to fit the valve covers and I JUST missed the mark to run tall covers. Did it before, No reason i cant do it again.

On the X-ram, It will be on the car eventually, I sure as f*@k aint getting rid of it :p. In the mean time I'd have to find some Rec heads, More carbs etc. And to be honest, thats closing in on over $2k that I can use elseware at the time ( Like right now, Brakes etc).
    But they will be on there.
    Just gotta make do with what i got at the moment, the Oval ports with this intake will still give my stock suspension a fit :eek:
    and being my first big block car, I'm surely not gonna be disapointed:D

Either way its gonna be some Good Damn FUN, can't wait to start chuggin HI-test and killin tires!!!!!!

13. Great start kid. Double nickles is only beaten by a 57. It make this old heart of mine feel good that the young bucks are keeping American IRON alive. Stay the course.
    Semper Fi

14. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

I bought a few things to help get my engine together this week.

I snagged a Holley 750 double pump from another hamber (Speedjunkie), which came in the other day.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Speedjunkie does great work, this is a completely re-done unit. and it looks top quality, and a killer deal at that!:D My buddies didn't believe it wasn't new.
    I would suggest going through him for your carb needs. Very professional and quick shipping.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    So the block isn't put together yet, but i couldn't resist setting it together for a little bit of a motivational photo opp.
    KOOL!!! :cool:
    Hopefully the cooler weather will be on its way, So i'll put more time into it (111* sucks)

15. mrtrimmier

mrtrimmier

Looking good there man. Those old SW gauges blend well too! :0)

16. SpeedJunkee

SpeedJunkee
    Alliance Vendor

That motor looks bitchin, like to see it in the car!!

17. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Thanks Speedjunkie.
    You guys are a real pleasure to deal with, Thanks for keeping in touch.

Everything is starting to take shape. Yup i think it looks pretty dang rad if i don't say so myself :D

I called CPP yesterday and got some brakes on the way, Should keep me busy for a bit. *I lucked out by calling on laborday weekend (Saturday) guy informed me of "the big sale" haha, saved 100$ and got a few upgrades. Had no idea:cool:

18. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Got some parts in.
    CPP came through with my spindle conversion(conical bearings) along with my disks, calipers, prop vavle, master cyl, etc.

Got what i could installed, Just waiting on a roll of brake line and fittings. Pretty excited to get the system together, and the pedal pumped up.
    I went with a pretty standard disk conversion, using the stock spindle. Everything is based off 70's GM stuff, Big bore calipers and an aluminium master cyl. :cool:
    Everything went together....Way too easy (other than putting the calipers upside down & the wrong sides :rolleyes: opssss)

Sorry for my super big pictures...its the best i can do haha
    [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Funny thing. I needed to get a complete set of lug nuts, And could not find ones that were the right length. They were either Too short (1/2 shank) or just too long and out bottom out on the hub.
    Grinder to the rescue!!! they all good now :D

19. mt94ss

mt94ss

Good to see it coming along.

Mike

20. yruhot

yruhot

Johnny,Doug here, I didn't know you had a build on this site. Your a lot farther along than I thought you were, Car looks awesum. Looks like our friend Dave is keeping you on the straight and narrow.lol. His car is so bitchin also. I fell in love with it the first time I saw it out at the Santa fe. If you want to store that manifold on my oval ports till you get some Sq. port that would be ok with me.lol. Been driving my 55 for a couple of weekends, was giving some e-ticket rides out on Jones Blvd and radiator slid back a hair and clutch clipped the rad core. Ouch. Oh well it was fixable and I got some better mounts from Jegs and will remount. Hopefully more secure. Is you car out at Daves Garage? Looks familar. It is a hot Bitch out there. I don't know how you guys do it. I'm thankful for my a/c in the garage, thats the only way I could do it. Well keep up the good work, you are making some great head way.Can't wait to see it on the streets.YRUHOT..Doug

21. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Hey Doug!
    No, im in the same complex as Dave, but a different unit.
    Yea he does a good job of kickin me in the ass about it, thats for sure. Used to call me the "Hank hill" of car building...You might figure that out (Not much gets done standing around goin "Yupp"...With a beer in your hand). But then again, I didnt know a whole lot when i started, So i was never sure of what or how to do things....Still dont, Always learnin":D
    But goddamn did i pick a project to cut my teeth on:eek:

Your right its bloody hot out there, but its getting better now, This winter for sure.
    Thanks for the words on my car, its coming along. You ABSOLUTELY KILLED yours in no time!!!.
    glad your having fun, l'll be racing you soon...Better watch out!

22. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Still waiting on brake lines & fittings, So I decided to tie up a few loose ends.
    The swaybar on my axle (8.8 ford) was never really retrofitted to fit my frame. Decided to give it a shot.

This is what i had in mind.
    simply reuse the stock 8.8 links, as the seem the right length. and give the correct geometery.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    I figured I'd run a solid bolt through the frame, and sleeve the inside. Easy-Peezy
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    a trip to ACE harware and about $10 later, this is what i had.
    You can see how the link fit on the frame, don't get much better than this!
    I used a Step Drill to make the holes.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]'

Everything was going awsome, Except they were kinda cocked to one side. Too much for my liking....

So a trip to my press & a minute with a torch solved that, Only needed a little tweaking.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

They fit GREAT now. Im very happy with it, and i think it should be stronger that the U-bolt set up the aftermarket one have.

I'll spiff it up with some paint and get a picture up.

OVER COME AND ADAPT. Work with what ya gots :D

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  23. yruhot

yruhot

Hey Johny, Looking good, or should I just call you "Hank",lol. Hank Hill of car building,now thats funny. Yup thats real funny Boom hower. As far as completeing my car fast I believed I calculated I had like 16 months in it about the time you saw it at my house. So I had been working on it for a while. This was my second attempt at building one of these type gassers and I also have been working on this stuff since i was about 13 or 14 with some older dudes. Then I went next door to you to vo-tech for like two years of auto tech training which has helped me a lot. So don't get too hard or yourself when you get stumped sometimes. This site is great for asking question on topics you might have trouble on and then there's Dave next door. I think you are doing a great job and as for racing me I'm looking forward to it. Just remember to show some respect to you elders when we do race.lol. ok later YRUHOY Doug

24. Big Daddy's HRS

Big Daddy's HRS

Enjoy yourself don't rush to much and don't be afraid to change your mind on what you want. My 55 turned out completely different than I ever would have imagined from the beginning, and now I wouldn't have it any other way. Well.....maybe for now ha ha! Ps great skills with soap stone!! Nice mock flames!

25. yruhot

yruhot

Hey johny. looks like things are coming along nicely. Mines getting the quarters worked on.Dave and my body guy are having a pissing match about how things should be done. But it'll all work out in the end. Came up with a nice old weiand tunnelram with two little holley carbs that I;m trying to figure out what they are and the price was right. Probably put in new cam with intake when I get that far.I like the one you guys picked for your project. anyway a quick photo of the car and intake. Keep on doin it you're getting there. YRUHOT...........Doug

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      149.1 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      148 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      146.2 KB
      Views:
  26. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

This car should be sweet when you finnish it.

27. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Yup. Its coming along slowly, but surely.
    I upgraded my shop to a double wide this week. Much much better for working. I can actually get things done.:D

Got the brakes all plumbed and bleed, Has really nice pedal feel now. had my friend push the car and i stopped it real good Haha.
    Still waiting on some more engine parts, Saving money up for SEMA...

Got s set of slicks for free from my buddy. Dont pay attention to the fact that they are Goodyear Eagles (Roundy round tires) There the size im wanting to run, So im using them for mock-up to finish out my radius job...Maybe a few burnouts too! :cool:
    Gotta get them mounted.
    They are 28 x 12's

Funny, Im not worried about going in different directions. This is turning out different from how i imagined it, But i love it!.

Yruhot- Yea Dave told me about getting yours primed. Hope you get it worked out soon. I'm on a roll now that its cool out, and im coming for you!!! Sweet tunnel ram too!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  28. yruhot

yruhot

Hi Johny, cars coming along nicely.LOve the tires. I remember trying to find a decent pair of used slicks for mock up and they were no where to be found. Was over at American racing and they had used sets of them there off roundy round cars for I believe $25.00 each for such purposes as you have used these for. I told my body man that if this body dosen't come out too nice we can always go for the Craig road speedway tribute car.lol. Actually I think it's looking pretty good. It's truly a dusty dirty mess at this point but I look down the sides and.Hmmmmm not too bad. and the flares turned out better that I thought they would.I've got this little boy that lives next to my friend bills place and he loves helping me with the car in some function and asked if he could go for a ride someday in the "race car". I had to turn the car around on the lift and took him for a ride around the block. I didn't go too crazy but when I fired the car boy did his eyes pop open.lol. We got back and he ran for the bathroom. Prettty funny. But he was right there asking what he could do next. Cute kid. OK later and I'm back on the quarters tomorrow. My body guy is getting sick of seeing me I think.lol. Later. Keep up the good workl. yruhot.Doug

29. JohnnyC79

JohnnyC79
    from Australia

Subscribed! Looking really good mate

30. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Its been a seriously long time from my last update. Im not sure if anyone follows thing thing, But if you were. my bad :D

I've been slaving away at work and collecting parts.

As you can see. I got a good set of
    *Eagle H-beams,
    *My XS282s solid lifter cam & valve spring set,
    *Timing gear and stuff
    *Flex plate
    *decent Balancer
    *Comp Magnum roller tip rockers
    *A sweet Moon tach my chick got me for christmas!
    I also went ahead and made my own fuel sump! :cool:

My cylinder heads got new valves, and a full recon job. Along with a 5 angle grind and back-cut on the intakes.

my whole rotating assy went in to get balanced, when the shop informed me that...Guess what!!! The H-beams wont work with press fit wrist pins :eek:. I should have seen it coming, But i over looked it.
    I had the shop procure a set of SRP pistons (LS6 spec) for me, and they will be in tommorow. absolutely blew my budget. Absoultely... All my trans money :( But, Hey its a damn solid block now right?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012