Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955 and 56 Mercury station wagon tail light questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 19Fordy, Dec 9, 2012.

1. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I would like to know if part number FDK-13440-B is the part number for a 1955 or 1956 Mercury station wagon tailight. Also, are 1955 and 56 Merc station wagon tailights interchangeable?
    Thanks, Jim

2. When I've seen them listed for sale they are always for both years so my guess would be yes. Mercury wagons just use the Ford body so they are adapted for the Ford 1/4 panels so I can see Ford saving money by not changing them.

http://www.taillightking.com/52-60Mercury.htm

That part # says backing plate all models EXCEPT wagon.

see picture of the back of the lights. They are different than sedans

Attached Files:

3. 50Fraud

50Fraud

The '55 and '56 PASSENGER taillights differ slightly in detail, but the wagon lights appear to be identical for both. These are the wagon lights mounted on a '56 Ford:

[​IMG]

Note: corrosion pits were not a factory option.

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Thanks to all for the replies. I am wondering why only the 55 and 56 Merc station wagon tailights fit the 1956 Ford car. Why won't the others fit?

5. As I mentioned, Mercury used the Ford wagon basic body. This saved making a new costly Mercury only body (Edsel did it too) They merely made taillights to fit the Ford stampings styled like the Mercury. Merc wagon lights are instant "custom" taillights for a Ford!

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

'55 & '56 Merc station wagon taillights fit BOTH '55 & '56 Ford passenger car and T-Bird. Only the '55 & '56 Merc wagons and Ford pass/T-bird have the same shape quarter panel taillight mounting shape.

Earlier and later Fords and Mercs have totally different lights and quarter panels.................but you already know that :)

Ray

7. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

Sorry guys, posted info on the wrong thread. Disregard.

8. good luck finding a pair

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

A friend of mine has a nice pair for sale. If interested, PM me and I'll give you his phone number.
    I can email you photos.