Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955-57 olds owners( what non stock power brake booster do you have)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cobalt333, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Im getting really close to putting disk brakes up front..and need to swap out my old power brake booster with one i can mount up higher on the firewall that has a free hanging peddle...what ones do you have and what year and car are they out of..thanks

2. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

well, im working on my step dads 53 super 88 doing the disc swap and we used the bracket scarebird suggested for the master. it bolts rite to the frame rail and uses a wilwood master. seems to work ok other then making a new petal rod and having clearence issues with the lines coming out of the master only because they exit from the bottom of the master. i have seen a kit that uses a plate that bolts to the firewall and deletes the left air box and uses a s-10 petal set up and a gm master and power booster but the last time i saw it online it was like 1100.00. im sure with alittle planning you should be able to make it on your own with some help from junk yard parts......john

3. Olds Dad

Olds Dad

4. 1954 rocket 98

1954 rocket 98

5. intresting info..everyone keep it coming

6. Alaska55olds98

Alaska55olds98

I used a scarebird kit for the discs. I used a mid 70s Chevy truck booster and master. It required fabricating a plate and mounting it on the right firewall where the air intake is. Remember you will need to put a hanging brake pedal on and plug the hole in the floor if you go this direction.

7. Rocket Man 57

Rocket Man 57

I know this is an older thread, but I was thinking of doing the same thing to my 57. I was looking at an 80 Impala booster and master. Reason being, it's a smaller diameter (10.75") and doesn't stand off of the firewall like the truck units. It also has an older cast iron master. I feel like the newer plastic reservoirs look out of place on a car that old. Pending wife's approval, next weekend I was planning on fabing up a new, shallower, air box out of 3/16 steel. Making a ring with nuts welded to it to fit on the inside so it sandwiches the firewall also crossed my mind. I want to use the stock pedal with a home made hanging assembly so it still resembles stock from the inside. Any thoughts?