Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1955-56 mercury's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53vicky, Sep 20, 2010.

1. So this past weekend, i saw a cool '56 merc cruize past me when i was walkin down the street. So i did a little research and am now starting to really like them.
    So lets see some pics guys!

what models were made and what were the differences in them?

i saw this one on google and kinda fell in love with it, any other ones here on the hamb??

[​IMG]

2. Chalupa55

Chalupa55
    from So-Cal

Amen to that. I never really liked these cars when I was younger, but I really like em' now. Love the HUGE front bumpers.

3. I love em' let's see some...

4. Freaknlow

Freaknlow

If memory serves me correct, there was one that got tossed around between a few HAMBers earlier this year in the classifieds. One bought from another, then sold to another. Was chopped, and painted flat black w/ white/red interior. Not sure who's got it now but I really wanted it just didn't have the money at the time. I love the way these looked chopped and slammed to the ground.

5. yeah they are really cool, havent seen any chopped but bagged looks really sweet.
    does anybody out there have one???

6. modeleh

modeleh

My grandparents bought a '56 Monarch Richelieu convertible brand new, but that was way before I was around. My grandpa always talked about how he never should have sold it. They were the Canadian version of the Monterey, and had a little bit different grill and bumper treatment than the U.S. cars. Rare then, and really scarce now.

http://www.classyauto.com/v/Mercury+Monarch/Richelieu,+Convertible/83283

7. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is my Dad's 56 Montclair. He was going to buy it from an old guy that had it in high school, but he passed away in a farm accident. We found it at a local junkyard, got it home and had it running the dame day! The best part is it has dual smithy's with a floorshift 3speed, and it had a tri-power Edmunds back in the day! (We have it too.):)

Dangerousdan likes this.
  8. bigs merc

bigs merc

Here is one that i saw at the temecula rod run last fall i think

Attached Files:

9. sledish

sledish

My 56 Medalist sedan

Attached Files:

Dangerousdan likes this.
  10. sledish

sledish

Different angles

Attached Files:

11. sledish that is really cool!!
    these look really really nice bagged

12. Ltorch

Ltorch

I chopped 2 a 56 merc hard top and put a 50 merc window in it .and a 55 merc hardtop they look great chopped or just mild .i no my first one the 56 i sold to a guy in mass back in 2003 then i herd someone stole it havent seen it yet and my 55 merc montclair 2 door hard top i sold to a guy in mass also then he sold it to a guy in ct then came back to jersey havent seen it since..

13. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

14. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

heres my old mans 55 Monterey we found out in a field in northern VT. We brought it home earlier this summer and got the 292 running. He's working on making it a mild custom.

Attached Files:

Dangerousdan likes this.
  15. My diamond in the rough I bought that runs and drives. It didn't sell twice on evilbay so I made the owner an offer, bought it for close to scrap price and drove it onto my trailer. His grandfather drove it in school. Yeah, its crappy but I always wanted one and the price was right. :eek:

Attached Files:

16. sledish

sledish

Thanks !!

17. belair

belair

Great cars, not enough of them!

18. Hot_Rod_Joe

Hot_Rod_Joe

Sledish: wow! Two thumbs up.

HRJ

19. 65COMET

65COMET

53vicky;Mercury made two different hardtops,a Montclaire and a Monterey that had different top heights and windshield sizes,I think the pictures show a version of each.ROY.

20. thanks roy. so they made two different heigth tops for hardtops??
    thats one i havent heard of yet!

21. lets see some pics of 'em!!!

22. Django

Django
    from Chicago

The new R&C has a really nice one featured this month. I actually remember the car from the late '80s at the James Dean Run when it was debuted in monochromatic black.

23. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Yea, the way I understand it, the "montclair" has a lower roof than the "monterey" (both hardtops). The 1955 "custom" has a post, While the 56 custom is a hardtop.

24. oh ok cool.
    which one has the lower one?
    are they both only 2 doors?

25. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

there is quite a difference in size here.
    just seems odd that merc would do smething like that with 2 different 2 door hard tops.

26. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Im not 100% sure but I think the 55 and 56 montclairs are only 2dr h/t. The 55 Monterey was available 2dr h/t or 4dr post only. The 56 monterey was 2dr h/t or 4dr post or h/t. The 55 custom was available 2dr post or 4dr post. And the 56 custom was 2dr h/t or 4dr h/t or post.

Someone chime in and correct me if im wrong but i think this is how they came.

27. Rocket Scientist Chris

Rocket Scientist Chris
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow! My '55 Monterey! That picture is about ten years old! :)

The overall dimensions between the Monterey and Montclair are the same. The only difference being the roof height and profile. The '55 Monclair (and Cown Victoria) hardtop roofline was a bit radical for the time. So, to keep from alienating more conservative customers, Ford also offered the taller (and more familiar roofline since it's similar to the '54 lines) roofline in the Monterey and Victoria models.

The biggest problem with the Montclair roof is the noticeable loss of headroom. depending on how quickly you tried to get in the car, you may either muss your hair or bruise your cranium! :eek: Ford really should have taken some height out of the seat when they lowered to roof! :D

28. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

I haven't been on here for a while but have gotten a bunch of work done on my 55 Mercury Monterey. Check it out...
    When I first got it
    [​IMG]
    after I tore it down and sandblasted it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and after I primed it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  29. thanks rocket scientist!!

kevin yours is def coming along. is it hard to find parts for??

30. rainh8r

rainh8r

There is a black and white 56 that's sectioned that I saw on here a few years ago and it looked great! It doesn't take much to make a 56 hardtop into a great mild custom.