Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955-1964 3 speed aluminum case?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Dec 18, 2007.

1. john56h

john56h

I picked this transmission case up at a swap meet a few years ago. It's a shorty three speed like the 1955-64 GM units. Strange thing is that it is an aluminum case. The tailshaft was shortened and a "Nance Engineering" flat tailhousing installed for use in a Modified with a lot of engine setback.

I don't see any GM markings on the case....or any other logos. Anybody know who made these?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bushwacker 57

bushwacker 57

I know nance built sprint car chassis years ago.

3. john56h

john56h

Yes, and I've seen a few cast iron transmissions just like this one with the flat tail housing or an aluminum version of the torque tube arangement. But, I haven't seen another actual aluminum case before. Just curious whether It is stock or a speed part....and how rare it might be.

4. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

It's a stock car piece. Did it even have a full gearset in it?

5. squirrel

squirrel

I bet that would polish up so nice you wouldn't want to put a floor in your car!

6. john56h

john56h

Yes, it had a complete stock 3 speed gears inside when I bought it...unfortunately there are a few chipped teeth. It is not a "direct drive" or lightened by removing first gear or such. Just the case is aluminum and the tailshaft was shortened and tailhousing replaced with the short one.

It's a nice weight reduction....probably 25 lbs. or so.