Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1954 Powersteering Hoses

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AldeanFan, Oct 14, 2021.

1. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

My ‘54 CountrySquire has a bad powers steering leak so once the car is parked for the winter I’ll change the hoses and all the gaskets and seals in the box and ram.

Any suggestions on sources for power steering hoses? There a full set on the auction site but quality is always questionable on parts bought from them.

2. Take your hose to the company in your area that makes and sells hydraulic hose. They can copy yours.

leadsled likes this.
  3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought a set from Concours in Carson City 7 years ago. The fit perfect and have never leaked. Not knowing the 54, the hardest part was putting back thru the rubber holder/guide on the frame and reattaching the clamp that held it. I’m sure it was easier with the engine out.

4. Canuck

Canuck

Like 325 said, a local hydraulic shop can be your friend.
    upload_2021-10-14_10-28-53.png

Local shop made this hi-pressure hose for me (top hose). Car was at home. I bent the steel line and they crimped the end on. Determining final length was tricky so they installed a compression type fitting on one end, designed for hi-pressure and I trimmed the steel line to fit.. Looks great and works great.

If you have good originals they should be able to totally duplicate them, or maybe even neaten them up..

I found the cost was less than repros that would not have fit as good and had unknown quality.

5. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Great advice as always from the HAMB members!
    Thanks, there are lots of tractors in my area so we’ve got a few good places to buy hydraulic hoses.

jimmy six likes this.
  6. I concur with bringing them to a hydraulic shop to copy.