Register now to get rid of these ads!

1954 Plymouth Desoto from New Zealand

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Voodoowagon, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

Emma owned it from what I have read on here but I think she sold it a few years ago. I am trying to find out some information about how they lowered it, I am assuming air ride but would like to check. Never new in New Zealand the Savoy/Plaza was called a Desoto.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  2. Squablow

Squablow

For a while, Australia was getting our old dies, so they'd have one body style behind us. The 57-59 cars look like our 55-56 cars but with bigger fins. This car is a DeSoto, it's not a Plymouth, although it's based off of our Plymouth dies. They have a really cool grille that we never got here, sorta like a US 55 DeSoto bar but without the big teeth and made to fit between the ribs in the front fenders.

3. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

Yeah I have been reading about it, trying to find someone that can help me out. Going to have to fly over there one day and find that grille, sounds neat.

4. LoSoto

LoSoto

My 1955 DeSoto Diplomat Plaza is about as stock as it gets at the moment. (Currently in for a bit of work). The grilles turn up from time to time over here at swap meets etc. but are largish cash. Expect about $800 AUD for something in fair to reasonable condition.
    [​IMG]

5. SimonSez

SimonSez

It was just mocked up for that event, so I am guessing it just had the coils removed in the front and spomething equally dodgy in the rear to make it look good :)

6. Yeah, no bags in there. I saw the car when it was in Steve Levine's shed.

7. FSHTNK

FSHTNK

Yup, no bag's just a couple-a old (Ball) sacks.

8. NFORCA

NFORCA

Anyone know how that car has progressed? Would be good to see it on the road.

9. i picked up a complete but very dead 55 diplomat and a complete 54 chevy for parts in a field directly behind melbounre airport for 500 bucks this time last year. neat little cars. yanked the grille and steering wheel for my 53 chevy project.

10. LoSoto

LoSoto

Hey Dude,
    You don't happen to have a spare l/h headlight surround? Been chasing one for bloody ages!
    Cheers mate.

11. The Voodoo Kreeper

The Voodoo Kreeper

gday, ricki here, emmas ex. yay for me. hahaha. yep, no bags, just sitting without coils and rear end was dearched springs by 6 inches. but at least you know that if you were to go with airbags, the front would sit that low, as thats just factory front end without coils.

todd, who knows where it is mate? your guess is as good as mine. emma has and probably never will, passed on the guys number who bought it. stupid cow. shes a dumb broad for selling that car. really dumb

12. screwball

screwball

I also kept a picture of that car for my 53 Plymouth the chop is out of the question for now but mine has a s10 clip so lowering should be no problum.

13. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

WOW I like that grille a lot, looks really good.

As for the headlight I dont but I think I know of a guy that has about 20 of these, let me try to track him down for ya and see

14. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

I have emailed you but thanks for all of this information, without the coils it definetly gives me an idea of what it will do with bags.

15. VONRUBEN65

VONRUBEN65
    from LOMITA

Damn that shits gonna sit low as fuck with bags all around. So does anyone know if the rear of the frame is kicked up like in 60's caddys so you almost never really have to notch them and if you do its just very little?