Register now to get rid of these ads!

1954 mecury power steering options

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gary terhaar, Dec 16, 2010.

1. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

I am finishing off a 54 merc for a friend and he would like to put power steering in it so his wife could drive it. I searched a few options and found someone who installed a rack in one.The install fit and finish was ok but looked a little weak in the brackets to the tierods to me.
    I also had read that a rodeo steering box can be possibly used ,this seemed like a nice swap but what i am looking for is some feedback on people who had tried either one,pros or cons.
    the car has a 390 in it so clearence can be a issue.
    Any feedback is greatly welcomed .Thanx Gary

2. tnrotter

tnrotter
    from Tennessee

3. Ole don

Ole don

There is an integral Saginaw P/S gear box being modified and sold for tri five Chevs. It will fit in the Merc with a little fab work and work much better than the rack. The rack takes away turn raduis. The downside of the Saginaw is it wont fit with clutch linkage. If you run an auto box its a good way to go.

4. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

Thank you don i was concitering that box but wondered about direction of steer.Yes it is a auto btw.

5. old lady's mad

old lady's mad

6. shadyg

shadyg
    from S.Georgia

Hello Old LAdy's Mad,
    I hope you can pass some more information on to me about this Jeep steering box. It sounds interesting. Please let me know.
    Thanks Grady