Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1954 Hudson

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by patrick66, Nov 9, 2017.

1. A buddy of mine decided to sell this '54 Hudson Jet and gave me a call. I've owned several, from a '37 Terraplane to a couple of Hornets to a couple of Metropolitans. It's a four-door, built the second to last month of Jet production , August 1954. If you've never seen a Jet, it looks like a 7/8-scale Hornet in front and the dash, a '52 Olds on the side, and a '52 Ford in the rear. This is the only Hudson model (post '47) I had not owned yet. It is in great shape overall, with new seat upholstery, tires, brakes, tinted side glass, fuel tank, radiator rebuild, and in the process of a 12V conversion. So, now I'm back in a Hudson after nearly seven years without one.

I want it to be ready to drive on the Oklahoma run of the Hot Rod Hundred in September '18. It is already well on its way to being drivable. New plug wires and a battery will get it moving under power, but the 12V conversion will need to be finished before its road-ready.

Since a four-door will never be worth a pot full of money, I'm looking for the classic matte black exterior with a semi-stock-appearing two-tone green interior. It'll be a fun cruiser. I already own two Mopars that are Daffodil Yellow, and the Jet was originally that very same color, so a color change to black will be neat. I'm considering doing the roof in silver metallic with a lace paint job, or maybe scallops...who knows, yet? With the original 202 ci flat Six and three-speed column shift, it'll get where it needs to and do it well. I'm searching for an original Twin-H manifold and a pair of Carter WA-1 single barrel carbs for the car, as that was an option, even on that little 202!

I'll post a few pics later on. Here is one for the start of the thread:

upload_2017-11-9_22-2-25.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  2. Since I've decided to go with the matte black exterior, and green/brown interior, I'm working on either a green or silver roof with lace. Tossing this option around. Definitely lake pipes! Going from there! This is gonna be fun!

3. Hud I

Hud I
    from Tennessee

There is a guy advertising a twin-H for a Jet for sale in the HET mag. This is his contact number. 8644306314. I am also working on a Jet.

4. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

So how is the project going?

5. Hud I

Hud I
    from Tennessee

Slow. Waiting on machinist and body man. In the mean time I am working on all the little things . Presently trying to figure out how to get the inner fender out without pulling the fender. Basiclly getting it mechanically sound.

6. Got much of the body smoothed out this week, using 000 and 0000 steel wool. Real paint and primer are months off, right now. The body is amazingly smooth on it, with maybe three very small hail dings. The temptation to clear over it and run as-is is there. Got a set of plug wires yesterday for it. Critters chewed up three of the six in in the possession of the previous owner. I did get a battery in the car to see how well the engine turns over, and I wasn't disappointed at all! Good compression and a strong starter were good signs. So, by the end of the weekend, I should have the engine running and see what all might need looked at. The 12V conversion has been just the starter, coil, condensor, resistor, and ignition switch up to this point, with the rest of the car not hooked up yet. It's getting there slowly.

7. Hud I

Hud I
    from Tennessee

Sounds like we both are much on the same tract. I am hoping to have mine in primer by spring. Nothing fancy, just get it in primer. I drive mine around but have not been on much of a trip. Just in the neighborhood. Working on the wiring much like you are. Working on another motor for it but my machinist got hurt. It may be a while on that. I like the way it drives and handles. Keep working.

patrick66 likes this.