Register now to get rid of these ads!

1954 GMC Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scott De Shields, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Scott De Shields

Scott De Shields

Helping a friend with his 1954 GMC truck with 228 L6 engine. The crank pulley is held in place with what looks like a hand crank bolt that makes it hard to turn engine for finding TDC. My question is there a hex head cast into this part further down for torqueing down the pulley and what size socket would we need. Any help would be appreciated

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Look close I think that the hand crank is part of the balancer. I think the balancer is just pressed on no bolt in the middle. You can take the number 1 spark plug out and crank it over with the starter with your finger over the plug hole to fill for compression to get close and use the fan by hand to get the rest.

3. Scott De Shields

Scott De Shields

Hard to see down in there that close with old eyes. If that is the case then I might to make a tool out of a 1/2 drive socket and a pipe adapted to fit on hand crank end. Thanks for the input.

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I know what you mean about the old eyes Ihave had to wear glasses all my life though that was a cruel joke when I had to have bifocals.

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

My 270 had a hand crank nose on the front hub. Inside it was a bolt that held it on the crank. I removed the damper and cut off the teeth for the hand crank.

6. Scott De Shields

Scott De Shields

Thanks RichFox. Do you remember what size socket you used?