Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1954 gmc first build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jordabennett, Oct 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. well i had about a billion and one things to do today but manned to get some done. Went to a buddies and pulled out an master/booster and pedal assembly out of his 80s ford. yes its ugly but for free I'm happy i may look ugly of the firewall but its fits great inside as well as my budget! :D
    also finished up the notches today and will clean up the 8.8 i have and roll that under for some measurements and start the four linky. hoping to get the bags tomorrow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Was very busy this weekend and unfortunately it wasn't on my truck, but got a few things done. removed, wire wheeled and painted rotors, installed new bearings and seals, and out on the new callipers and pads. got that master/booster cleaned up and painted and waiting until the motor is in to find a new spot for it. got some free wheels today to and i think the backspacing is just right and will hopefully sit nice in the wheel well. also grabbed that free 8.8 i got stripped all the ugly of it and will clean it up and paint it tomorrow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. BabbitBeater

BabbitBeater
    from Colorado

Hope you found a good home for that 6... It looked like it had some nice goodies on it.

4. gwarren007

gwarren007

5. pulled some hours in the shop and got lots done so far, removed the old rear end, leafs and shackle setups. after removing multiple [!]rivets
    gutted the 8.8 and wire wheeled the whole thing, also cut the top two piece off and shaved one side of the webbing.
    measured 1322030239 times and tacked it in and began to build my how made 4 link which I'm really hoping it works[t]
    sold the motor today so bags and 350 are coming!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    sitting height. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Wow, that is a tall notch you built. You will be less then ground level if you actually use all that clearance! Is your four link instant center going to be right? It seems that it may be too high or not even intersecting unless you use the lower hole in your forward bracket. Also the brackets are going to put a lot of twisting force into that crossmember, a small gusset from the frame to top of bracket would do wonders for extra support.

The fab work is good, not my first choice to use the Camaro clip. I understand the financial aspects of use what you have. My 52 GMC received Jag IFS and IRS, and the brake master cyl and booster all courtesy of the donor Jag sedan. Used a lot of the parts from the donor to also save money where i could, lucked out the donor already had a SBC swap (bad engine though...) with 700R4, so used the trans and a lot of the engine accessories as well as the suspension and brake stuff.

For wheels, the Jaguar have more inside offset than the typical GM wheels do, but not looking like a FWD type wheel. You would need to run a hubcap though. Jag use the same 5 x 4.75 bolt pattern as the Camaro clip. I am sure you are aware your rear 8.8 bolt pattern is 5 x 4.5 and not the same as the front?

7. ...your running board is on the wrong side of the truck...
    [​IMG]
    ...why does the wheel sit so far to the rear of the wheel opening, at least it appears to here.

8. thanks for all the info man! greatly appreciated. i will most likey be using the bottom hole on the forward top link mount and everything will be getting gussests this is just a light mock up to see how everything sits, trying to complete the bottom parallels and will cycle everything to see how it works.

I'm aware of the rear bolt pattern and have a set of rear steelies. and will put the clip on to see how the rims sit.

9. yeah its the wrong one, and yes it sits back a little bit but that fender sit jut sitting again the truck, not bolted so yes it appears to be father back then normal.

10. i built up the lowers this morning and just seeing where a good position is for them, and then ran out of welding gas.......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

any input on location or what not would be great!

11. 1badbaker

1badbaker

Very nice work, and very impressive welding. I always have the same seat issue in trucks, also 6'6. It always seems to go where I like it and not in the original holes.

12. well finished off the lowers today tacked in a few gussets but still have lots more to add. i cycled it a bunch of times and seems to work great with no binds and weird bends. the lowers are a little close together but thats as wide as i could get them. ill run the bags and shocks out wide and it doesnt have to much lean to it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. well got everything boxed in and welded, sure was a long day of welding!
    but seems to work great with no binds or anything, also picked up the new motor for it. from a good buddy of mine who recently pulled it from his model a and replaced with a 427 bb chevy!
    mild build
    4 bolt main
    30 over
    new pistons
    rv cam
    194 heads
    air gap intake
    carter 650
    deep sump oil pan
    nice and healthy
    around 375hp maybe a bit more!

paint and clean up should make it look real nice!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Got a little done today, pulled the body and welded up the front bottom link mounts. then connected a tranny and popped then motor in to see what it looked like, raised it up a little and made some mounts heavy duty ones, don't want the motor going anywhere. then cut up the old e brake bar, solid 1 1/2 bar, going to leave the other cross member in.. one because its not harming anything and second i can't get it out.. [15] just going to tach everything and drop the body back on to see how it clears, also scored and got some badass fender well headers. ill probably run them below the frame above the running boards. ill explain later. ill have to notch the other k member as well for drive shaft

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    trying to get this
    [​IMG]

15. finished up the tranny mount and tacked the engine mounts in, also got the air bag kit today, but I'm going to have to change out the fronts and get some with a smaller diameter the 7'' di. won't fit in the lower control arm at all. came with all these fancy valves and manifolds but i dunno i need that? fews shots... going back to work on it now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. raised one of the cross members and boom. lays running boards. :D
    the lowest i can get it. started to mock up where the rear bags will go. on top of the axle and then mounted to the main cross bar with some gussets. should raise it up quite a bit!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. sierra rod shop

sierra rod shop

looking real nice

18. thanks!

19. edweird

edweird

just curious, where did you get the intake?

Attached Files:

20. came with the motor when i bought it. i can inquire about it. ill let you know

21. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

You are making this look to easy, nice work!

22. finished the rear bags today, and they work. yes... up and down everything is level and seems to work great. when the running boards are laid on the ground the rear frame sits at about 7'' off the ground and when air'd up it sits at about 18'' roughly 10'' of lift! saaaaaweeetttt! i might finish off the top of the bag mount with something or may leave it.. heres a few shots

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. well i ended up getting the front mostly done today as well. made and mounted a top piece and bottom piece for the bag. again lifts it about 10'' which is great as the back is very similar. cut an access hole in the side of the frame to get at the bags and air lines. still some more reenforcing to do.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. 4444Design

4444Design

awesome!

ypu weld like a pro!

congrats for your skills ...

25. I would run a small gusset form the front of the rear air bag mount to the frame. Right now all your load is putting a lot of twist into that crossmember tube. No need to change anything, just add a small piece from top of the notch over to the bag mount to provide some support.

26. Coach529

Coach529

great build.........subscribed!!

27. Just what I was thinking.

28. cheers guys. yeah i havnt finished the gusseting yet but i will put something more in there. i does have a big gusset on the rear part of the tube that might be enough but ill most likely add more.

29. Looking great, subscribed! Glad to see another GMC on it's way back to the road!

30. thanks man, its coming along. yours looks great as well!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.