Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1954 gmc first build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jordabennett, Oct 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey guys well i luck out huge with this project i bought, and the deal i got it for i couldn't resist. its a 1954 gmc 5 window. with a rebuilt 248 jimmy. 4 speed 10 bolt rear lots of work done to it.
    my plan with the help of a good friend Lloyd who's a big influence in the hotrod family in langley, is to clip it using a 78/79 camaro clip. remove the straight 6 and tranny and install either a really nice 350 olds rocket or my buddies 350 4 bolt main with some nice power out of his model a. i also have a 8.8 with 373s disc brakes and a posi for the rear. I've been doing lots of welding and fabricating for years, creating everything from art to full cassis for off road buggies. but hotrods have been a true passion. i really look forward to learning form Lloyd and the rest of you guys on here with tips ticks and how toos. beware I'm yough and love to ask questions. all your input means alot!!!!

Heres a few shots when i went to the the states to check it out! couldn't believe the condition this thing was in it was amazing, zero rust.. zip..nada.. doodle!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Made a nice space in the shop for it..
    [​IMG]

Drove down yesterday with the trailer. lucked out and it didn't rain much
    loaded her up and started the trek back in canadia![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Home sweet home!! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More info and details tonight. can't waste any more time gotta go work on this thing!!!!!

2. another shot [​IMG]

paint ideas are coming from this truck "flat nasty" spent about an hour drooling over this in abby a while back and can't seem to get the colour combs out of my head! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. Got that bad boy started today damn does that thing sounds cool!
    ill try and get a video tomorrow before i pull it out;)
    used the tractor today and pulled the camaro clip out today too [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    do some measurements and see how she will line up.
    Pulled the clip out yesterday and started to pressure wash it this morning realizing all i was doing was making it wet. so decided to whip down and sandblast it for $40 got some paint on the bottom and ran out... tomorrow remove motor and cut frame[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Should be a cool truck.

Just so you know, Camaro clips give these trucks too wide of a track width.

Unless you get narrowed control arms and/or run original styled skinny wheels (which look best anyways) you're always going to have that "clipped" look...

5. yeah I'm going 'original style' steelies and whitewalls

6. Well got some good progress today. Removed the motor and tranny
    and managed to grind the rivets off the punch them out to get the front axle out! then for the scary part.. cutting into that gorgeous frame, (made me a bit queasy) had to trim the passenger front body mount and notch the front running board mounts. i removed them to make a good clean cut and re fab them in. It must have big block coils in because its cranked high and stiff as all hell! ill remove those tomorrow after i get everything measured 50 times and tach welded once!:D

last video of the old heart! sounds like a straight 6![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  7. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

why didn't you just buy one of those IFS kits that fit the stock frame? Front clips are Passe'. It's not the 80s anymore.

8. like a mustang II style? this one was free, and working on a very tight budget
    looks ugly for sure but will hopefully slam to the ground.

9. being my first build I've been on here for hours every night learning more and more, I'm hearing alot of good and bad about the camaro clip but unfortunately I've already gone and cut my frame and have the clip ready to go.

10. well today i pulled the rotors and callipers off. pulled the coils out. and took about 4''.. maybe more:D out of them (air bags going in soon) put it together rolled it under the frame dropped it down to a taster of what it will look like. with weight on it the running boards sit about 3.5'' off the ground! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Doing a little experimenting with paint and i think I'm going with stain gold for the motor or burn copper highlights look closely and you can see the copper[​IMG]
    the lighting makes it look a little different.

Busy weekend so until sunday, this is how she sits[​IMG]

i need an idea for a good set of steelies for the front, with zero offset. any ideas?

11. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

bad move cutting the coils without the weight of the new motor. 4 coils is way too many. with the weight in, they will compress to the stops. I see you are putting bag in later, but for mock up purposes, a threaded rod that goes in the position of the shock absorber would have worked better.

12. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Looks like your tires will rub pretty bad on the fender lips.

13. yea its purely for mock up. bags are going in

14. ...those wheels look way too far back in the wheelwell...better do your homework. I can't believe you ain't been given heck for pullin that GMC six out, or the axle.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  15. servi53

servi53

cool project, and yes I wondered about that six it looks badass with that 4 barrel on it, would like to hear how it sounds

16. not welded roughly put in for mockup too see how low it went with cutting the coils. homework every night, i spend hours on here:D
    the 6 is really cool but i want v8 power/sound, and fast. melt tires:cool: something I've always wanted to build.

17. the video is posted. check it out.

18. upperwhitetrash

upperwhitetrash

Great project!!! That "six" is super sweet!!!! I'd rock it in that Truck!!!! However.. I love the sound of the V-8!!! Pulled my six and dropped a 400 hp beast in my 55 with a 4 speed!!! The six looks WAY cool though!!! Great job, and sweet Ford truck in the back ground!!!

19. thanks man! thats what I'm going for, loud and fast. i may drop a 472 caddy in it or a 327 but i do have a 350 i can drop in so may do that for budget then later drop more power

20. Didn't have much time to work on it this weekend but managed to get the frame exactly where i wanted it moved about 3/8 of an inch forward to fit the wheel wells better and measured about 100 times this way and that way under and over inside and out before i laid a weld. cleaned it up nice add some material where to was needed still have to finish the back horns of the camaro clip- blend them into the frame and modify the front running board brackets the fit around the clip
    trimmed the bottom of them frame flush with the clip and get a nice weld along the bottom.[​IMG]
    added the rest of the frame in, and kicked it out the follow the frame a little better. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

quickly checked out the 350 I'm getting of my good buddy who swap it out and put in a 427! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. more to come today.:D

22. today i finished off welding the frame, made a new gusset for the passenger side body mount. notched the front running board brackets to clear the clip made some simple end for the clip the blend better into the frame. rolled it out shot a coat of paint down and then loaded the cab back on and in place. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    dash idea.
    [​IMG]
    put some panels roughly on to see what it looked like. with the motor in it will drop at least another 2-3''
    [​IMG]

before i welded in the clip i moved it 3/8 of an inch forward and centre the wheel in the wheel well and I'm happy with the final look..... now for the tire and rims that clear!!![​IMG]

possible idea for pipes. looks pretty cool.
    [​IMG]

more tomorrow!!!

23. more coming today, any tips tricks or ideas please let me know! i want to learn from you guys as well!

24. lack of funds made a slow day, still lots i can do and managed and drop a mock up 350/400 into it today. seems to fit great and no cutting on the floor is needed! have to decide i a set of headers and ideas for exhaust. also pulled the bed off and planning on c notching the frame and adding blocks in the rear (for now until i have enough to link it)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mocked up a 57 p/u seat as well. i took off the sliders on the floor and the seat just fit right and sat right down and the original skeleton. yes I'm alittle crammed sitting but i always will be being 6'6 :D but its a great fit!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm going with the free beer keg i got as a fuel tank, get some fittings welded on and a filler and going with a sight line for a fuel gauge too. sorta like this but maybe on the front

[​IMG]

25. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

cool build man. very cool. clip looks smooth. i have to blend mine in when i pull the cab off my apache. previous owner clipped it but just didnt make it look clean. ill be doing something similar to yours. keep up the good work dude !

26. very nice welding too, by the way... nice shop also...lol

27. UncleDonnie

UncleDonnie

Interested in selling the six? I've gotta friend doing a 54 GMC and his 270 is stuck.
    Shoot me a PM. We're just south of Seattle.

Don

28. well got a little bit more work done today, i got some u bolts made up that were 4'' longer than stock for the 4 block. annnnd still didn't lower it as much as i wanted... so i made a template up for the c notches and got to work!! got both welded in place and ready to but the frame out.. then 4 link and bag time. [36]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]