Register now to get rid of these ads!

1954 ford help, steering adjustment

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JohnnyP., Mar 17, 2013.

1. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

I have searched online and all I have found in steering adjustment is that I need the owners manual to do the correct procedure. Now I searched here and found nothing, and searched some ford forums and only came up with that answer. It's a 54 customline and I just bought it. I am clear on everything Chevy of this era, but not ford. Steering goes almost a foot of play either direction. Trying to tackle all the problems that were not disclosed when car was purchased. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. If you have that much play I really doubt any amount of adjustment is going to help.

You need to start under the car,,generally tie rod ends may be worn ,check the drag link,,there are a lot of pieces that are controlled by the box. HRP

3. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

Ok, I'm slowly working my way around on this car.

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I understand that you are exaggerating for effect but If you have excessive play it probably needs more than a simple adjustment. Play in the steering linkage is not brand specific. The linkage may be different from brand to brand but the play is universal. Check the linkage while a friend turns the wheel until all the play in the tie rods and or idler arm is eliminated with new parts. Then you can buy a reprint shop manual to walk you through the adjustment procedure.

5. You don't need the OWNER'S manual, you need the SERVICE manual. Big difference.

Motor Manual (brand name) will do nicely, I've one beside me. And the procedure is written clearly.

But, a FOOT of play?? 12 fricken inches?? And nothing is disconnected?? You had better get shakin', and I mean shakin' tie rods and center links and such to see if it's all still bolted together. Then replace what's loose (or everything, it IS 60 years old).

After you've done all that, THEN worry about steering adjustment.

Cosmo

6. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

Nothing is disconnected. It might be more like 6" either way. And I meant to say shop not owners manual. Dealing with watching a 2 yr old and looking up info.

7. Again,don't worry about the box until you have checked out all the tie rods and idler arm,,if these parts are worn there will be a lot of play.

Also check the idler arm. HRP

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The idler arm should not move up and down. If it does it needs to be replaced.

That means that if you turn right then the steering wheel will have to move a full foot before the wheels even start to turn in the other direction. Just have someone rock the steering wheel while you look to see where the excess play is.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  9. When I was working on the wagon my idler arm didn't even have any rubber left! :eek:,,talk about movement. HRP

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

people get used to the play as it grows on you. Some people may check the idler arm at the center link thinking it's tight when the other end is allowing all the play at the frame.

11. demonspeed

demonspeed

By the way, reprinted service manuals for this car are available on eBay for dirt cheap. I Think I paid like $5 for mine or something and its been helpful.

12. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Ditto, on doing everything under the car....THEN get to the steering box. 54 was first year for ball joints on Fords, so be sure to include those during your under-car inspections.

Happy Roddin' !!!!! 4TTRUK

13. big M

big M

Be sure to check the play where the ball stud from the pitman arm goes into the centerlink. There is a threaded plug in the end, and two cups that hold the ball stud in.

Sometimes this will get neglected during routine grease jobs, resulting in steering linkage free-play.

---John

14. Mike White

Mike White

Basically; take up all slack in system by NEW parts at connections. Also , (if I remember right) a hex head on top of steering box will adjust some loosness out - as long as the box is not too warn.

15. Mike White

Mike White

And have it aligned RIGHT AWAY after parts replacement.

16. manyolcars

manyolcars

check the A-frame bushings too

17. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:eek:Also check that the steering box is properly tightened to the frame,and that the mount holes are not worn.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

18. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

As noted above, be sure that when you have slack, the pitman arm is not moving. If it is moving the slack is in the rest of the linkage, ball joints, etc...

This may be of help'
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

Ok, finally got my wife out there with me. I went through and shook everything and nothing has ridiculous play if any at all. The play doesn't even come out of the steering column. So I assume it has to be in the box itself. Now if it has never been adjusted, then it should be able to get a decent amount of adjustment out of it, right?

20. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Went through this on my buddy's 53 and found that it is common for these boxes to wear out the end bearing at the bottom of the steering shaft, over tightening the adjuster thinking it will help will actually make it worse. We ended up finally locating a decent box after a few tries. Every box we got ahold of we would tear down and find the same thing the whole bottom was Wollard out from the lack of lube and over tightened.