Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs !1954 Ford Dizzy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 24 Dodge, Aug 3, 2019.

1. 24 Dodge

24 Dodge
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey guys I am in need of new Distributor for my 239 y block any help would be appreciated. I can't find one in Syracuse N.Y.

2. I got my mine from Auto Zone

3. town sedan

town sedan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The early Y's had some differences from the later ones.
    Ask over on y-blocks forever website, if no one gets you an answer here.
    -Dave

4. Yup 239 Y's have their own distributor and the later ones (272/292/312) wont fit. Make an inquiry on yblocksforever.com or on the Y block facebook group, someone will have one laying around Im sure.

town sedan likes this.
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. That is true, but they have the weird vacuum carb to dist PIA, if he is going new, a later one should fit and work better, unless he is using the stock carb. Ask McTim he is the go to guy

town sedan likes this.
  6. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Your distributor has a blade bottom end to go into a slot in the intermediate shaft, which also has a blade to go into the oil pump drive, same as '54 Mercs, '52-54 Lincolns. If you want to use a newer distributor, they are hex shaft drive, & you will also need the later hex shaft & the later oil pump. Fortunately they are a direct bolt-in(I do suggest you put the intermediate shaft into the oil pump & insert them from the bottom : that way you don't have the hex shaft fall into the pan when you try to put it in from the top. Ask me how I found that out nearly 60 yrs ago!!) The distributor will install just like the one you took out, & will mesh with the intermediate shaft a LOT easier than the original blade/shaft combination. Hope this helps?

town sedan likes this.
  7. sunbeam

sunbeam

Then you have the 13 or 14 tooth thing

Truck64 and town sedan like this.
  8. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Thanks Sunbeam : I forgot about making sure to save the distributor gear to put on the new distributor.

town sedan likes this.