Register now to get rid of these ads!

1954 Fastback Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by G V Gordon, Feb 3, 2004.

1. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Just picked up the new Rodders Digest and there is an amazing custom on page 55. '54 Chevy with a '50 fastback top. I remember seeing an artists rendition of a '57 done this way several years ago and thinking it looked good. This one IMHO is gorgeous. But then I am a sucker for well done customs. [​IMG]

2. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

I hate it when guys do this to me. Now I've gotta go hunt down the mag in the stores and see what he's talking about or just wonder...

3. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Sorry, If I had a scanner I'd hook you up. [​IMG]

4. wayfarer

wayfarer

This is what he's talking about:
    [​IMG]

5. Tony

Tony

I don't have the mag, but is the color of it something like a candy orange?
    There was one posted on here a while ago that color, fastback '54 custom. Absolutly awesome car in evey way.
    thats the only one i've ever seen.
    If thats not the one, i guess i gotta go get that mag... [​IMG]

Rat...

6. Tony

Tony

Damn wayfarer, you posted that as i was typing.. [​IMG]

Rat...

7. wayfarer

wayfarer

8. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey George,

Seeing a 54 Chevy that was turned into a fastback, really messes with the mind. I think this is the reason why I like it the most, he is trying to do something new. I would like to see the car in person.

I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow of the article.

Happy Trails,

Mick

Get ready for the snow!!!!!!!

9. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

In that case, I'd say very nicely done altho it kinda looks like a big brother to a Henry J from that angle. I like the front view tho. I'd buy it. [​IMG]

10. raaf

raaf

so are we looking at a 54 with a fastback grafted to it? ...or a 49 - 52 with a 54 front grafted to it??

11. wayfarer

wayfarer

It's a '54 with a fastback roof grafted to it.

12. raaf

raaf

...after looking at it some more... it looks like a fastback grafted to a '54, esp. looking at the hard angle on the trunk... what do you think?

13. JamesG

JamesG

[ QUOTE ]
    ...after looking at it some more... it looks like a fastback grafted to a '54, esp. looking at the hard angle on the trunk... what do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats just what it is............. [​IMG]

14. delaware george

delaware george
    from camden, de

that car is from my town...the guy that built it is one of the nicest and most talented builders in this area...he also built that purple 39 lincoln zephyr..the scrape...that hotwheels made a car out of....that 54 was flat white until about last year

15. Tony

Tony

Unless he grafted the front end, doors, and rear quarters from a '54 on to a '49-'52, thats a '54 without a doubt.
    All the style lines are '53-'54 except the rear section between the quarters..
    Lots of work there....
    It's kinda cool if ya think about it. The job was done well enough to confuse the eye as to exactly how it was done.

I still like it, but agree on the hub caps..

Rat....

16. It looks good and could look better with a little length adda to the trunk so it wasnt such an abrupt angle switch. all in all a success tho.also some taillights that lengthen the quarts would improve the rear view...like packards?

17. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

I really dig that car...except for the tail-light treatment. The perfectly vertical tunnel opening doesn't flow with any other lines on the car...I think it'd look WAY cooler if he'd angled them some, or done Packard lights like Nads is doing.

Still a VERY cool car...makes you wonder why GM didn't build fastbacks all the way up to 54!

18. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

There has been a couple posts on this car...Its simply awesome!!...I love everything about the car! Its getting harder in my opinion to have a 53-54 really standout from all of the other ones out there and this one does it w/no problem!!..Dirty

19. JamesG

JamesG

This is how I might have done the taillights...... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

That's cool. From tha back it looks like a full size Henry J. And if your wondering that's a good thing.

21. Donzie

Donzie

THAT is one of my favorite cars. I saw it posted some time back. Chevy really missed the boat when they quit making the fastback for '53 and '54.

Attached Files:

22. chopt50

chopt50
    BANNED

[ QUOTE ]
    so are we looking at a 54 with a fastback grafted to it? ...or a 49 - 52 with a 54 front grafted to it??

[/ QUOTE ]

That is definitely a 54 body with a fastback roof grafted on. The work looks to be very good, though I think that the rear panel below the trunk and taillights is too flat and tall. Maybe if they extended the fenders and rolled the rear of the body and tapered it some more. I agree that it looks alittle Henry-J ish as well. Very nicely done though. Those fastbacks are a biotch to chop even if they aren't molded to a 54 body. Neato. [​IMG]

23. chopt50

chopt50
    BANNED

That guy could be a baker with all the pie cuts he has made on that car. [​IMG]

24. chopt50

chopt50
    BANNED

[ QUOTE ]
    that car is from my town...the guy that built it is one of the nicest and most talented builders in this area...he also built that purple 39 lincoln zephyr..the scrape...that hotwheels made a car out of....that 54 was flat white until about last year

[/ QUOTE ]

Terry Cook is the man that built the Scrape purple Zephyr. Is that who you are talking about?

25. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Great car, the hubcaps suck, big time!
    Why in the world would anyone ruin a gorgeous car with those shitty ass hubcaps?

26. delaware george

delaware george
    from camden, de

terry cook is the man that paid ram to build the scrape...it spent 5 years in dover getting completed...he even did one of the fiberglass copies here....that 54 has had that roof for years...he said it took him 13 years to finish...of coarse he's usually working on other peoples cars and was just driving his ....here's a coffee table i made him

Attached Files:

27. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

There use to be a 50 Chevy Fleetline w/a 54 clip mounted on it that was advertised at Texas Exports that was a pretty kool looking ride that supposely had some history..I havent seen anything like it until this.

28. Thats a killer 54. Of course, I would have made some changes if I did it, but I didn't Ram did. I like it as a whole.

29. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Steve Stanford did a styling article proposing this swap a number of years ago. Soon afterward, somebody actually built a car as Steve had proposed, and said it was an enormous amount of work -- that it would have been easier to put the '54 front clip and quarters on the earlier fastback body.

30. 53Chebby

53Chebby

Here's one more pic I had saved on my computer. You guys already posted all the other ones I had.
    [​IMG]