Register now to get rid of these ads!

1954 Corvette whats wrong with this car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Legendary Lars, Feb 13, 2009.

1. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

My thoughts exactly, Bruce. If you want it for your own enjoyment, and can end up buying it for a fair price, it would be a good candidate for a hot 261 (or even a GMC 270 or 302) and a four speed, after which you could drive it to a Corvette show and make the purists fill their diapers when you lie about how it was a concours car before you hot rodded it.

2. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

Nice I like that style :)

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"...but hotrods are out of style, so I'm gonna make it a ratrod now. You know, fenders off, tractor grill, headlights mounted in old oil cans..."
    Thud! Corvette dude hits the ground, eyeballs rolled back into head, twitching violently in a pool of foaming saliva...
    Say, if you turned the forward part of the trim pieces over side to side, you could pass it as a 1953, too!

4. r759ca

r759ca
    from nor cal

that car would have to ultra cheap to consider it at all the trim pieces alone are a fortune and car almost looks scabbed together

5. NomadJerry

NomadJerry
    from Near LAX

It certainly could be a kit car alright. They are available. The engine is definitely not stock and I suspect the radiator is wrong too. Price should be adjusted accordingly. The price really drops the more missing parts there are. Check ID number plate, and if it doesn't say GENERAL MOTORS on it, it is probably a repro. The vehicle registration should say 1954 Corvette too. The front end does look bent to me. The comments by others are very good, except for the humorous "look for rust in the body" comment. Hah! -Jerry:>)

6. 19Fordy

19Fordy

If that Corvette is being sold by a "dealer" you better bring someone with you who really knows Corvettes. I have a bad feeling that it is a kit car and you are about to be taken for a ride you shouldn't go on. Just think, if you had a genuine '54 Vette would you let it look like that one?

7. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

Ok so went and checked out the car, it is not a kit but it had been a hot rod at one point the hood had been cut open at one time to allow for a larger engine or air scoop of some kind. The Wiring was totally shot through the whole car.. The underside of car looked really clean, almost too clean. It had been painted 4-5 times. There was a box with a lot of trim peices in it maybye all the missing trim I did not pick through it super carefully. I drove Up with boldventure A super cool cat who I had never met till today on this board. We had a nice adventure and rapped cars all day, Which is always a good way to spend the day :) SO I decided to pass even if the guy would work a deal I think it was more of a project than I want to get into at this time. I am posting a bunch of pics for you guys so you can see more of this beast :) Thanks for all the feedback and tips on this car. Oh and the rust on the body was horrid ;)

Attached Files:

8. 61TBird

61TBird

What were they asking for it?
    It's good you passed on it. Did you really want to become "Corvette Guy"??

9. Special Ed

Special Ed

That is great news. Better to pass, than to find out you bought a Pandora's box full of problems.

10. scotzz

scotzz

I notice the same thing..........grill orientation looks off............maybe camera

11. 8-Track

8-Track

the carpet is the wrong type and pattern

12. Damn! He wants $45K for that??? Ouch! It needs twice that spent on getting the car right!

13. ooh, that looks scary, even to me. And I've dealt with junk before.

14. Muttley

Muttley

He's already been to see/didnt buy it, case closed.

15. Cruiser

Cruiser

AS A32flathead said: it's been on ebay twice and no sale. This Corvette leaves too many questions and I would pass on it. A lot of Corvette guys looked at it on ebay and didn't buy, I think this is a good sign that all is not right. Move on there are better Corvettes out there................

CRUISER :cool:

16. Good to hear boldventure (Alan) helped you out, he's a good guy.

17. Not So Stude Dude. There are steel braces embedded in the fiberglass that can and do rust.

18. 41woodie

41woodie

Super nice wiring job, that looks like a condenser hanging down under the dash in one picture

19. -Brent-

-Brent-

Looks as though there is some over-spray on the bottom of the hood. Give this car a really good look-over. As it's already been said, the carbs/intake are a dead give-away. As well as the coolant tank on the pass side. The radiator may not be correct as well... because the 53/54 with the overflow tank had hoses going to the radiator from a higher source... I'm not sure exactly, I'd have to look but it may be wrong.

Edit: should have read the whole thread.

20. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

nah,it won't have any because it glass so it must be a fake...

21. c57heaven

c57heaven

Bet it was one of those quicky paint jobs... you know.. where they paint the light bulb under the dash free.

22. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Needs a big block and straight axle.