Register now to get rid of these ads!

1954 Corvette FUNNY CAR found need info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51box, Apr 25, 2012.

1. If it is a real one, I would bet that it was a wreck that was built as a car. As stated they weren't worth much way back, even less if wrecked. I also think the chassis had a Logghe look to it.

As foor Force, my statement came after a couple hours online searching images. Came up with some later (70s) pics of John in a Vette funny.

2. Church Key

Church Key

Scott, The Maine, lead sounds promising. This could have raced at tracks in Maine in the late sixties or seventies. I don't have any pictures from Sanford after 1966. Call Vaughn Stevens, he sould be able to tell you if the car was from Maine.

3. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

Chassis are a date code, a better pic of the chassis would be great, also a pic of those two guages can get a time frame. The chassis and cage the forward loop was active in 1966 but in 66 all were a single rear bar, the dual rear bar is in the 68 era starting, in 68 no major racers were using such a old body, from the pics the rear shell looks oe im thinking this was a drag car for years with a stretch later and put on a late 60's early 70's altered chassis for some local racing at the end of its life. Cool car but a real mix of stuff, good pix of the chassis and mounts will tell all of the era.

4. Dave Gray

Dave Gray

My thought exactly......
    Dave
    BGMS

5. Pontiacnut1930

Pontiacnut1930

I will post the pictures on the bulletin board down at Numidia Raceway. Great story and good luck with the history.

6. 26Troadster

26Troadster

7. japar

japar
    from Seekonk Ma

Norwood, Charlestown , Orange, New Bedford

Attached Files:

8. I'm guessing it was never finished (as is). The chassis is obviously used, but why would the body still be cut up if it were a "retired" race car. Looks a lot like somebody was trying to re-body that chassis as a Vette and never quite got it to the track.

9. hotrodarchaeologist

hotrodarchaeologist
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Maine

Hello. My dad just does not remember the car that I remember, his age is showing... I remember a '53 to '55, vette race car up here in Maine in the mid 70's. It was located in the Bonny Eagle Pond region which would be Standish or Buxton. I will keep digging...

10. You may be onto something right there.

11. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

What a cool car, regardless of its history. Subscribing to this.

12. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

53- 55 rear body with a 56 - 57 front section. The pink is probably faded Venetian Red that was used in 56 and 57. The grille area seems extended like one of the SR-2 cars.

13. a coupe

a coupe

Well thanks to my friend jack (church key) We identified the chassis as being Mel perrys from the first superhugger camaro, il post pics when I get a chance, how the vette body came to it who knows but the frame is the remnants of the camaro

14. Django

Django
    from Chicago

15. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

more info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

That chassis looks nothing like it, maybe this one.[​IMG]

17. servi53

servi53

very cool car and history, whatever it ends up being

18. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Attached Files:

19. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

20. a coupe

a coupe

If anybody's interested I'm Going to sell the vette body I was going to hold onto it but I have way to many projects, it would never be a car again but could be easily made into a funny car body again, I'd like to see a 1000 bucks out of it p.m. If anyone is interested

21. Damn, I was really hoping for a happier ending!

22. a coupe

a coupe

Well I'm saving the chassis, someday it might get put back together as the superhugger but The vette body im probably not going to get around to doing,

23. I'll buy the body if it's available.

Steve

24. I read the thread quick not sure if you found anything out?

Call Mike at PV Speed in Malden, he remembers most all of them and if not he can ask Brian Peavey as he was VERY active campaigning drag cars.
    781 321 7700