Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1954 Chevy ignition switch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HerecometheJudge1954, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Hey gang, can’t seem to find a diagram for this ignition switch- anyone know off the top of their head which terminal is which, or know of a diagram? I saw That Deve’s tech posted on his website a 1953, but his is different from mine. It’s just two position and the truck uses a starter button. I imagine one is for the lightbulb, one is constant power, and one is switched power. Suppose I could put an ohmmeter on it, but I’m on my way to work and short on time. Thanks in advance. BCBB1979-3605-407D-8FB4-EB66693FCE7C.jpeg

F761D060-5D42-430A-8765-625FC67B4FAC.jpeg

2. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

You'll have one terminal for battery, one for ignition (on power), and one for accessories, such as radio...
    You should have another light socket with bulb that snaps into the little holder on the switch, coming on when
    you turn on the lights. It is not connected to the ign. switch. Here is a simple diagram. Normally the biggest lead coming out of the switch is the bat. connection. ignition.jpg

HerecometheJudge1954 likes this.
  3. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

A little more info. for you. Looking at your ignition switch installed, and from the driver's seat, the Left terminal (I)
    is the "On" terminal, typically going to the coil and fuel gauge. The Right terminal (A) is the Acc. terminal, for a radio,
    spotlight, etc. The Bottom terminal (B) is your battery power, coming from ammeter gauge.

4. Hi Bob, I got to looking at it, I thought I was looking at it wrong but it only goes in my dash in one way, and when I look at it in that orientation, it’s roughly 180 degrees rotated from the diagram and from your description. But hard to tell if that’s exactly the case. On mine there is a terminal at the 1 o’clock position, a 9 o’clock position, and a 4 o’clock position- And since it has plastic tabs that interface with the metal casing, it couldn’t have accidentally rotated. Any other guesses? Comparison for illustration.
    0551670C-D56C-44EF-B1F8-C9B8A4444C42.jpeg AA474655-51D9-4D01-BA54-0F6D6C181544.png
    Thanks in advance!

5. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You should contact Jeremy at Rebel Wire, he is an encyclopedia of electrical knowledge on these cars. I'm sure he will be able to help you

6. Thanks!

7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Classic car wiring. 17x11 laminated color coded for your car. Less than $20.

8. Thanks man, didn’t see a notification about this! Thanks for the response! I’ll definitely check that out.