Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1954 Chevy Grille Teeth Order

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WZ JUNK, Feb 10, 2015.

1. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I tried a search and I read some previous post but the information is incomplete and inconsistent. I labeled the teeth from my grille when I disassembled it long ago. My labeling and the embossed number in the castings (#1 through #5) is not consistent. Maybe the teeth I removed where in the wrong order. I need to know the sure fire way to identify which teeth go where. I would appreciate some help.

John

2. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I will post what I found elsewhere should someone do a search later and come on to this thread. This information is from digging and observations. If you really look at each tooth place on the grille, it is hard to get them in the wrong place except for the two left or the two right.

Each tooth has a number, 1 through 5. 1 is the center, 5 is left outer, 3 left inner, 2 right inner, 4 right outer. Each tooth also has a part number cast in it that identifies each one. I checked these numbers in the "Filling Station" catalog for a reference.

That is all I know.

Now I have to decide if I want to make it a 9 tooth grill or an 11 tooth grille. I am leaning towards the 11 tooth version.

John

3. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

Glad u figured it out.
    Yes, there are inner, outer, and the middle tooth. The inner teeth are slightly taller than the outer.

Here's my 9 tooth grille. The 11 are cool but I see many with the end teeth a little cocked, the sit really close to the parking brake housing and probably require some grinding to get them lined up with the others. Cesar
    [​IMG]
    This 15 tooth grille is over the top
    [​IMG]

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

good info to have - Lowriders have this dialed in

5. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I am preparing all of my stuff to go to the chrome shop. It is good that you brought up the fit of the outer teeth on the 11 tooth. I will see which of the teeth will fit the outside position with the least modification to make it look right.

I am leaning on the 11 tooth version. My car has a larger than normal air conditioning condenser and a cross flow radiator that I need to hide as much as possible. The added teeth will help.

Thanks
    John