Register now to get rid of these ads!

1954 Chevy Bel Air Convertible

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jadam54, Dec 2, 2010.

1. jadam54

jadam54
    from DENVER

My U-bolts and torque tube broke the other day. I would like to put new rear end and transmission in it. I dont have the money to put a V8 in it yet. Is there something I could get where I can get a 4-speed and better rear end that will will work with my 235 and a SBC later??

Thanks

I am new at this and would like to make it as easy as possible

2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

You want easy, then find a stock setup and replace as needed.
    Slightly more complex, swap in a different bellhousing, reuse clutch, throwout and any 60s, 70s saginaw 3 or 4 speed will work. use a 70s malibu driveshaft and a 55-57, nova, camaro rear (bolt in.)
    Most complex, t5 swap, s10 4x4 rearend.

Many detailed write ups on here, and inliners.org, and chevy talk. just google some key words.

3. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Do a search man...there have been several tech post on t5 & etc for 53-54 Chevy esp on here.

4. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

yeah, use the search dickhead..

5. On the rear selection, I used a early '80's gm rear from a Cutlass but the Monty, Grand prix, and the like are the same. None are going to be "bolt in" as they have coil springs. And watch the center pin placement on the spring/axle, if you put the pin hole in the center of the axle the wheels will not be centered in the wheel well.