Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1954 Chevy 3100 VIN in Texas????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by droplord49, Jul 6, 2018.

1. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

I just picked up a 1954 Chevy Truck that the last registered owner passed away and I have no info on the family. I’m just gonna file for a bonded title, but am not sure if I’d use the serial number stamped in the plate in the door jamb or the serial number stamped in the engine, next to the distributor. Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

Your first step will be to visit the DMV to make an appointment to have the truck inspected by the The Texas Theft task Force (Sheriffs Office) They will check to see if it is stolen and they willl decide which number to use. You got a bill of sale? I just went through this, not hard but lots of steps.

3. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

I’ve gotten a bonded title before for a 55 Olds that came from Alabama(they don’t title anything pre 1980). All I did was sent a copy of the bill of sale, VIN, and a check for $150 to Lawrence Title Company in Tyler. A week later they sent me a packet of papers that I took to the local DMV and they registered it in my name and gave me a bonded title. 3 years later, the bond cleared and the DMV sent me a clear blue title. I didn’t have to get any inspections, but maybe that was because it was just an out of state transfer.

4. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

That's sounds like the title co. Was a go between you and the dmv. Another way to go, probably easier and maybe cheaper too. To answer your question I'm pretty sure 54 trucks went by engine number. The next question is that engine original?

5. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

If you can convince them to use the "VIN" from the door post do it. It will save you a ton of drama later if you sell it to someone from another state.

I bought my car from Texas, and it was titled to the engine block, and the engine had been changed. The previous owner had to do some serious hoop jumping in Texas to get me something I could title in Missouri. Not every state is as laid back about this stuff as Texas appears to be.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it has the original engine with the original engine number and the door post tag intact as diy guy said it shouldn't be an issue but I'd do it before I spent a nickle on it.
    Long time ago but when I bought my 48 in Mcgregor, Tx in 1973 the previous owner had gone to the trouble to get an "engine change" notation on the title and they used the door post number as the vin.
    One thing I'd do if you haven't is go though all the hiding places in the truck looking for an old registration or even the title tucked away in the truck. I found the title to one "no title" donor rig in a mess of papers in the glove box when I was cutting it up to haul off for scrap a piece at a time. 30 minutes later i was dumping the hulk off at my friends wrecking yard's crusher pile.
    After you have it inspected I would think that the only thing going though a special title company will do is save you some steps for they fee that they get for doing it. Pay the fee, save the steps, do the steps save the fee.