Register now to get rid of these ads!

1954 Chevy 235, Rochester carb issue/question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scott F., May 6, 2012.

1. Scott F.

Scott F.

I just bought a 54 with a 235. quit working for previous owner so he said he put a new carb on it (it looks like a ). it still didn't run unless you attached a squeeze bottle of gas to the carb. I brought it home and found the fuel pump didn't work. I put a new one on it and got gas to the carb and got it to fire. It wouldn't idle but if i feathered it and/or really gassed it i could keep it running. Dad was watching the engine and flagged me to kill it. He said that there was gas spraying out of the carb. We looked it over and found that the gas was spraying out somewhere near the top of the carb and the whole carb (from just below rim) to the manifold was soaking wet. It looked like maybe it was coming from two holes in the casting that are high up the air horn, one on pass and one on driver side of carb. p.s. this car also has a cracked intake manifold. What's causing this?

Scott

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Well it sounds like your float needle has some crap on it and is not shutting of the fuel flow when the carb bowl is full. Install a fuel filter on the line before the pump for starters. May need to remove the tank and get it cleaned. Those carbs are dead simple to work on. You need to get a "Motor's" manual from 54 to 60 pub. date as a FIRST thing. The info there in will be beyond value for someone with no/limited experience on older cars.

3. Scott F.

Scott F.

I've got a motors manual and a chevy manual for these years but none say 'if the floats aren't adjusted right or the needle/seat is dirty that gas will spray out these two hole (which are pictured in the manuals)' that's why i was asking. I'm assuming the float or needle valve but before i tear into it i thought i'd ask.

4. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Good that you have the manuals as that will help you alot. It's almost a dead certain thing that fuel spraying to the outside of the carb is caused by a needle/seat not working correctly ie dirt usually. Good luck on that 54 as that was my first car in '59.

5. Scott F.

Scott F.

Thanks John. That's where I will start. I had a service manual for my 53 dodge that i recently sold and it was invaluable as well.

Scott

6. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Sorry to bring up an old thread but im having a similar problem. I replaced the needle/seat/gasket in my carb and it worked great for about 20 minutes then all of a sudden it started doing it again. It also started stalling unless I held the gas. Any ideas?

7. grynder

grynder

Yea. Put a Carter YF carb on it. I had a similar experience with a Rochester and finally just gave up on it. The Carter has never let me down

8. Rochesters are leaky old bastards and not very efficient as they go.

If you can track down a Carter YF for a Chevy, yes, put that on there, it's a better carb and you should pick up a little better mileage to boot.