Register now to get rid of these ads!

1954 Chevrolet Chop-Top Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Franken4, May 18, 2009.

1. Franken4

Franken4
    from Texas

First of all, what's everyone's opinion on the most these cars should be chopped for being low..yet not looking over done? Was thinking of using the rear section that is a split window to mold into the rear for the back glass. Anyone ever done this? If so how hard is it and where would you find a section like that? Scrounged Ebay with no success. The earlier Chevs and Fords has some split windows, maybe something different from a Plymouth or the like? ANy information would be helpful.

2. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

It wouldn't be any harder than molding any single window into place, but I think small split rears would look kinda out of place on a fifty's car. As far as finding a section like that, old junkyards are about the only place to find something like that.

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I say 4" chop max... that's 4 from the front post, so actual drop will be less.

as for back windows... 49 - 52 chevys would be good, as well as 53-54 chevvy 150's with the smaller rear window. I think someone mentione 49 -50 fords have the proper contour also. get the glass and as much of the surrounding roof as you can.

seen only one with an earlier split window out back and it looked lousy.... the whole car was pretty crummy so i don't know if it would look any better if it was better built or not. either way i wouldn't do it to one of my cars..... now that I think of it the car was a 49-52... I think it would look even worse on a 53-54:confused: