Register now to get rid of these ads!

1954 Cadillac Dynaflow VS. Hydramatic??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1951Streamliner, Apr 10, 2012.

1. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I'm looking to order a water pump for a 54 Cadillac my friend owns, and I noticed it said the pump wouldn't work on cars equipped with a Dyna-flow transmission.

I always thought that the car had a Hydramatic, but this has me wondering.

Did mid 50s Cadillac's only come with Dyna-flow's as the automatic transmission? Or would a Hydramatic be an option as well?

I don't want to order the wrong part. :eek:

here's the part http://www.ebay.com/itm/Water-Pump-...its=Make:Cadillac&hash=item2c646e32ad&vxp=mtr

2. There was a fire at the Hydramatic plant that stopped production around then so GM made do with what they had.

3. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

The amount of funny sarcasm on this board has me cautious, are you being serious? haha..

4. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

There was a fire at the caddy trans plant so they got olds hydro's for a year is the way ive heard it...

5. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Shaggy, if thats the case then why does the ad say "except those with DynaFlow transmission"? I really don't want to order it and have it not work and have to send it back..

Can anybody tell me if the DynaFlow shift pattern is the same as the Hydramatic? I know the Hydramatic is N D Lo R.. from owning a Pontiac with one.

6. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

7. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

8. Gerrys

Gerrys

Cadillac Dynaflow
    The early 1950s Cadillacs were normally equipped with Hydramatic transmissions. However in 1953 the General Motors Hydramatic Plant burned to the ground, leaving Cadillac without a source of transmissions. Buick Dynaflow transmissions were hastily adapted to Cadillac mount points, and some 19,000 1953 Model 62 Cadillacs, and some 28,000 Cadillacs of all models, were equipped with Dynaflow transmissions. Several thousand 1953 Oldsmobiles were also equipped with Dynaflow.

9. boomosby

boomosby

i dont understand what that has to do with the water pump? its a good history lesson, but dont you need a waterpump? they didnt change the block i dont think... just try it!

10. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Agree with Boomosby...the 331" water pump has virtually nothing to do with the tranny...it's not connected in any way...about the only difference in some I've seen is where the heater hose ports are...that's it... and that one (e-bay) looks like my brother's '54 Caddy pump, except the heater hose ports can't be seen. $189 is a decent price...USA Parts and McVey's want $200 plus your core and shipping costs.

R-

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  11. mike hohnstein

mike hohnstein
    BANNED
    from wisconsin

Thanks for that I had no idea, however am aware of the trans plant fire, always assumed there were other Hydramatic plants, guess not.

12. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

There was ONE Hydramatic factory in Livonia that served all of G.M. It burned in 1953; cutting off the supply of Hydros for Olds, Cadillac. and Pontiac. Cad substituted Dynaflows, Pontiac sub'd Powerglides, Olds ? G.M. built a new factory in the Willow Run buildings that had housed Ford's WW II B-24 operations and later Kaiser-Frazer assembly.

13. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Thanks a lot guys. I was wondering the same thing.. what does the transmission have to do with the water pump?? But since it said it in the ad I thought I would ask.

Thanks again :)

14. Torchie

Torchie

I belive that the two speed Dynafow shift index is P-N-D-L-R as well. Was just looking at one in a Buick Century.

15. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Yes, but at least on my Pontiac, it didnt have a Park gear. When the engine was off, you could put it in Reverse to lock it up, otherwise you just had to pull the e-brake

16. Smokey2

Smokey2

Buttin' In, None of My Business..............But,

If You Don't like the Anwser !!!!!!! Take back tha' Question............
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Quote Again,
    "Tha' Friggin' Hydro-Matic PLANT BURNED DOWN (UP ! ) Whatever......Tis True "
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    Running'around buddies Family Car was '53 Cad. Ceedan W/ Dyna (watch tha' Gas )
    FLOW......................
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    I aqired a Four Speed Hydro-Matic, That came outta' a '66 Ford P.U, was behind a Ford 360 Engine !!
    On the I.D. Tag hit sez "Build fer Ford Motor Co.....Linc-Merc Div.

Big Smile !!!!!! Same Trans was in Some School Buses ......

Still Smoked-Up, But I do Remember " A Little Bit" Definite Maybe !

17. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

My 1952 Kaiser had a Hydro in it behind a flathead six and my friend has a flathead V8 Lincoln that runs a early 50's Hydro that is stamped "Hydro built for Lincoln".

18. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Dale Fairfax is right.... Some "Ponchos" had p'glides.. A couple of our customers had them. I don't recall the shifter pattern, though.

4TTRUK

19. BuickJoe

BuickJoe
    from New York

The early Hydramatic's up to about 1956 or so did not use a transmission oil cooler because the Hydramatic used a fluid clutch with two planetary gear sets to give 4 forward speeds. The Buick Dynaflow used a torque converter and the single planetary gear set it had was only needed for Low, Reverse or Neutral or Park. Normally Drive range was used for all driving. A torque converter generates heat and needs to have a transmission oil cooler. Buick used a small heat exchanger on the side of the transmission that was cooled by heater hoses that ran from the side of the water pump that picked up engine coolant from the bottom (cool portion) of the radiator. When they installed Dynaflow transmissions in 53 and early 54 Cadillacs they had to modify the water pump and hose routing for the oil cooler.
    BuickJoe

20. ems customer service

ems customer service

21. desotot

desotot

Finally a full answer, now all you have to do is see what the heater hoses do to confirm the needed purchace.