Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1954 Buick build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Black Clover Custom, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

I cant get over the fact that the 401 mount center bolt hole lines up dead center with the 322 top hole. Its like one of the 1964 engineers thought that it would be cool to be able to swap in the new motor in the 10 year old cars. Maybe he even had one and did that for his car. Possible.

2. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

This is the REAL info on bearing sizes. True bearing sizes 002 (Small).jpg
    I got the A51/ A41/ and A3 in and checked them.
    I have the spacer from Scarebird to show what it fits because they are WRONG about the bearing that fits the 54 spindle. Their website lists the wrong bearing to buy. I dont know why but they dont give you ANY correct info on the tech line. Only quick one liners and its wrong info. BEWARE.
    So A51 on the left and A41 on the right. True bearing sizes 001 (Small).jpg
    True bearing sizes 005 (Small).jpg True bearing sizes 004 (Small).jpg
    Fits the A41 True bearing sizes 006 (Small).jpg
    Not the A51. So be carefull ordering the kit. Buy the correct bearing to fit the spacer.
    The A5 bearing definitely fits the 1.375 id spindle and is 2.56 od same as the A41. Just differ in overall thickness.
    Tired of missinformation and buying extra bearings. Time to return the A51's unless someone wants them here.

3. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Looks like a fun project.I`ll be following along.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

german franco likes this.
  4. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Motor is in! Motor mounts figured out. Lines up nice. Welded a bar across the back and motor is sitting on it until i drill some plate, bolt it in a few of the trans mount holes and weld it to the cross bar.
    Front clip going back on this weekend hopefully.
    Bought our house in Eugene and need to sell this one here so times runnin out! motor is in 001 (Small).jpg motor is in 002 (Small).jpg motor is in 003 (Small).jpg

5. thx for share your work

This is my ;);)

[​IMG]

6. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Wow man. Your car is nice man!
    Have any extra parts? :)

7. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Got any kits left? Im ready i think if you can give me a total with shipping to 92374. Thanks.

8. Even though it is not a 54, this is possibly one of my favorite Buick's I've seen lately. I can't wait to see your Buick finished.

Attached Files:

9. Sorry Sir .
    i dont have spare Parts ,

regarts and best wishes from Germany
    Uli

10. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Yeah thats a clean and simple car and just about perfect. Makes me rethink putting on the 55 front clip on mine...

11. bet on black

bet on black

Cool build. I'm gathering parts now to put a a 401 nailhead in my '53 special hardtop.

12. good info regarding bearings, look forward to seeing more of your build, as I've got a 55 special I'm hoping to fit a 401 into, so appreciate the details from your experiences.

Cheers,

Drewfus

13. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Yeah what a headache... But its well worth it to swap the 401 in. Tons of torque!

14. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Thanks.
    You wouldnt have an extra set of 53 stainless headlight bezels would'ja? :)
    Im about to go to the street corner with a sign that sais "spare 53 bezels? and a beer?"

15. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

My wifes Granpa worked at the Buick Olds Pontiac. Plant in 1947 for these pics. Just want to share.
    On the line. Body drop. Chassis dept. Paint dept. Body dept. Trim dept. And plant managers. Granpa became a plant manager Barnhart. Cool .
    buick olds pontiac 1947 001 (Small).jpg
    buick olds pontiac 1947 002 (Small).jpg buick olds pontiac 1947 003 (Small).jpg buick olds pontiac 1947 004 (Small).jpg buick olds pontiac 1947 005 (Small).jpg buick olds pontiac 1947 006 (Small).jpg buick olds pontiac 1947 007 (Small).jpg

16. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Car is packed up and ready to move to Eugene. Thread to be continued.

17. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

18. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Finished up a cafe racer for a customer. Got paid and got racing on the highway to snatch up this M20 2.52 first gear before it was gone. Major piece for the car. Got it from a fellow Hamber. Rebuilt. m20 005 (Small).jpg

Okie Pete likes this.
  19. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Is your new place gonna a have a bitchin' storage area like this one?;)

Following.

Black Clover Custom likes this.
  20. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Oh yeah! But its on the ground floor... 30x60 shop with a pot belly stove! Best thing is the last owner is a total hippy. And has no idea how many PBR cans are gonna be my form of 'yard art'. Lol.

21. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

The car looks great; I like where it's going. Any updates?

22. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Well only update is i broke my camera!!! So i have to get a new one to post pics of the new shop and new parts car i scored. Its a 55 4 door but it has a nice gas tank and the chrome headliner bows and i like the rear seat with the fold down center section. May use it on mine. Tons of other parts on it and good steel i will cut if i need some. Also its got a running 322 that im going to sell. $2-300 maybe?
    Almost done with the yard here and ready to work on the car in January. Thats when i get a 2 post lift and a better welder.
    Cant wait.
    pics soon.

23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

look forward to more details

24. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

005.JPG trying to post pics of parts car with new camera and computer. ok. figured out.

25. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Parts car is really good. Running 322. Everything i dont need is for sale with title. 006.JPG 007.JPG 009.JPG 011.JPG 012.JPG 016.JPG 015.JPG

26. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

27. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Yeah i have the carb that it had on that it was fired up with real recently!!! The gas tank doesnt leak and he filled it with gas but the lines were clogged so they hooked up a gas can to the motor and it fired up.
    The motor runs! It has wiring and plugs and cap off to the side and coil and starter. It ran well!
    I dont need it so its for sale.
    I will get it running here and get a video.

28. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

We moved and everything got here.
    Baby sitter is out of my garage. (Has bathroom, shower, sink, sleeping room)
    Mowed more yard than i ever have before and now xmas is over...
    Time to get the shop setup!
    Time for the car to get some parts.
    Time to drink beer and bust knuckles.
    2016 i got somethin for ya.
    Speaking of which, anyone know of a 2 post car lift or a multi process welder for sale here in Eugene garage 005.JPG garage 007.JPG garage 006.JPG garage 001.JPG garage 002.JPG garage 010.JPG garage 003.JPG garage 004.JPG garage 008.JPG garage 014.JPG garage 012.JPG garage 013.JPG garage 011.JPG let me know!

29. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great looking place to build cars and raise Kids.

30. slacker1965

slacker1965

nice score on a great house & shop. '54 Bufords are one of my all time favs. my stepdad had a century conv when I was in HS so he kinda ruined me.
    thanks for sharing your project

Black Clover Custom likes this.