Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1954 Bel Air patina'd kustom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by autoworx1, Nov 19, 2017.

?
  1. Drive the hell out of it?

41 vote(s)
    75.9%
  2. Refinance the house. Paint, chrome, upholstery. Full kustom?

13 vote(s)
    24.1%
  1. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

20171119_105855.jpg 20171119_113828.jpg 20171119_110134.jpg Unfortunately all of my pictures from my build were lost on a phone that crashed. I got it out today for some pictures.

V8, 700r, 8" C-notch, triangulated 4-link, air bagged, rear sub framed, power brakes, 4"/6" chop, retained rear '54 glass, '56 Buick taillights and rear bumper, new floor, new rockers, lengthened and lowered rear quarter panels, added grill teeth and Brockman Mellowtones.

I started this build 2 years ago and finally got it on the road about a month ago. I'm still searching for misc. stainless trim. At this point I'm undecided on whether to continue the build and paint the car or leave the car 100% as is.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  2. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Customs need to be finished with nice paint to show the lines and style, if done with taste. Yours looks awesome!!

3. upspirate

upspirate

Paint it, but use saved up cash.....no refinance

4. To be perfectly honest your build is TOO NICE not to paint. HRP

5. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

Hah, not refinancing anything. It will add up quick though. Metal work is all really close. The car has zero mud in it now so the bodywork will be minimal. It's the bumpers, taillights and grill that are going to hurt.

chryslerfan55 and upspirate like this.
  6. BJR

BJR

Defiantly paint it.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. Squablow

Squablow

If you shop around, you should be able to find some good parking light housings and bumpers with at least decent useable intact chrome if you can't afford replating. I know those Buick taillight bezels are hard to find without being all pitted up but if you spend some time you'll be able to put a nice useable set of chrome together, it doesn't have to be new, I do that with a lot of my builds.

Would I paint it? Yes. Would I refinance the house to do it? Not a chance. I'd rather run it in red oxide primer and try to find good used chrome before I'd borrow money to redo it, and no reason you can't do your own bodywork and paint yourself. Don't get stuck in the thinking that it either has to be perfect flawless, or rat rod patina, there's actually a lot of pride in a DIY paint job.

I think shaved door handles, a peaked hood, and a relocated gas filler door would also look nice on this car, as long as you're open to suggestions. I will say the wraparound rear window is well done on this chop, lines up with the rain gutters and beltline nicely without looking forced, and that's hard to do.

ffr1222k and indyjps like this.
  8. belair

belair

Great looking car. Love the tail lights and whatever color you go with.

9. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

I found I don't have as much fun with nice paint, worry about dust, scratches chips, etc.....

Hyfire and bcboy4ca like this.
  10. southcross2631

southcross2631

Just spray it with flat clear until you are certain. I could never decide so that's what I did. 0520131953a.jpg

quick85 likes this.
  11. Stooge

Stooge

My vote would be an El Cheapo Deluxe single stage and have some fun driving it without having to have the worry of messing up a spendy paint job. I have an off topic air suspension c10 and in the short time I've had it on the road, being so low to the ground, its been an absolute rock chip magnet, (along with me just being clumsy and bumping into it in the garage). I used one of the TCP global single stage set ups since I know I would drive myself crazy worrying about it if I had any real money tied into the paint, and then wouldn't be able to enjoy it as much.

I love your car and that you kept the full wrap around glass with the chop and the Buick taillights look great on it! Awesome car for sure!

12. Slopok

Slopok

If you did all that bodywork the painting will be a cinch, but please don't go flat black!

Frankie47 and quick85 like this.
  13. dan31

dan31

[ When your ready] Too nice not to paint plus the whole patina thing is a little long in the tooth. With paint this thing is timeless.

cretin likes this.
  14. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

I got my first two 6.70 x 15" mounted today. Huge difference.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    slv63 likes this.
  15. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

Cadillac hubcaps showed up this last week. Time to buy two more tires! 20180225_165020.jpg

16. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Really dig the look, I wouldn't change a Damn thing, like your execution

17. wvenfield

wvenfield

If I did nothing else to the car I would have to do something about that front bumper. That would bug me. LOL

18. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Thats a real cool ride. I like the fact you can jump in & go, bugs, dirt, kids & all. It looks really cool & you won't need to waste any trunk space on a California Car Duster. More room for cooler & lawn chair. But I know, I'm in minority, I live on dirt roads & I like real drivers that show the age appropriately. & I've driven show car paint, it's too stressful (for me) waiting for your first scratch,touchup,door-dings.
    FWIW, just opinion, & most disagree with me, so YOU do what YOU like.

. . .

19. @autoworx1
    I voted for painting...Thought you might get a kick out of seeing it in full custom mode ;).....

custom2.jpg

20. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

That is beautiful I would drive the wheels off her just the way she is

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hollywood-East and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

I really wish you wouldn't have done that! Nice work Moose!

22. I am not a huge fan of patina, but I like it the way it is! Funny thing, 2/3 of the votes are for not painting it, but most of the posts say "paint it"!

23. mike bowling

mike bowling

themoose likes this.
  24. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

Looking balls is a plus.....right?

leadfootloon, slv63 and Early Ironman like this.
  25. mike bowling

mike bowling

New England term, like "Pissah", or "the Tits" ,wherever the hell that came from. all samo samo.
    Nothing to get nervous about , it's a compliment.

26. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

Kidding. Thanks man. Looks like it's time to start buying new bumpers, grill, headlight rings and getting the body ready for some paint. I really like the original patina but the photoshopped picture is making me wonder!?

mike bowling and lurker mick like this.
  27. 0nedon

0nedon

Looks great as is, maybe find a good USED bumper and turn signal housings. The way it is you can enjoy it without worring about a sctatch or road blasting along the bottom, again looks great! I like'em sweaty

28. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Gotta admit ,that two tone factory paint looks real good with your mods .

29. mike bowling

mike bowling

My comment was based on personal choice. I'm not a big fan of big buck paint jobs, but the photo shop picture is killer. Your ride and your dough- leave it as is and DRIVE! Excellent build no matter what.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. indyjps

indyjps

Thats a great build.
    If youve been working on it for 2 years and its now driveable. Go drive it. At least get a summer of fun before a paint teardown. A couple months of shake down to find the bugs is never a bad idea.

Looks like its been cleared already, if not. CLR it and pull some of the rust off and a good wax.

driverquality likes this.