Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1953 Studebaker Starliner: Ahead of it's time?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, May 6, 2014.

1. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Get a clear vellum print of a Stude Lark, and put it over the '53-'54 Champ or Commander. Looks like they merely chopped the nose and tail about a foot!
    Yes, they were 'lightly built', (body and frame) but worth building...
    My high school buds had 5 of them, I installed Stude pickup shift towers in the top loader trannies for 4 of them...the 5th got a Chev V8 and Chev 3 speed with Corvette linkage... (very new then, 1958)

2. The problem with Studebakers is, at high speed they like to fly. This one got away form me at El Mirage in '62. Wasn't a fun flight!

Stude wreckIII.jpg

390cad likes this.
  3. I have built 5 Studebaker coupes so far and starting a 54 C-coupe this week.

These cars are very interesting engineering wise. There are elements in the body construction that show the proto-unibody structure. The trunk hinges and supports are beautifully designed and executed and the hood and its hinges are the polar opposite. There appears to be every attempt to "add lightness" (sorry Mr. Chapman) and then stick one of the heaviest production V8 engines in the front.

4. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

I drove a nice 53 Coupe in high school/ college. It had a little v8 and an automatic...slow as hell but good on gas. The brakes kinda sucked and the front squeaked like crazy.

5. I have a very rough 55 coupe that is destined for Bonneville, with a 53/54 front end.

The basic chassis and suspension is the same as the 48(?)-up cars used. Same for the engines, used in other Stude models

6. metalman

metalman

I had a 53 Starlight Hardtop back in the 90's, one day I had it parked at the shop next to my 54 Ford on one side and a customers 52 Chevy on the other side. Wasn't till then I truly realized and appreciated how advanced the Stude was in 1953. Made me think how wild a departure from the norm it was when it hit the showrooms new, gutsy move on Studebaker's part.

Model T1 likes this.
  7. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I have always loved those Studebaker styles, and my Bucket List includes owning one at some point.
    Way ahead of time indeed :)

8. stude54ht

stude54ht
    from Spokane WA

I'm a bit partial.

9. As far as styling goes, yes, it was at least a decade ahead of its time. I equate these Studebakers with the 1963 Corvette in that its styling was unlike anything else in its time and destined to become an instant classic. I have never owned one but always appreciated the car.

10. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I wish I still had this one. I let it get away 15 years ago...

[​IMG]

11. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

I couldn't imagine what people thought in '53 when these hit the show room floor. Park one next to any other American car of the same year and they almost look alien.

Here is the one I got just got a couple days ago. Click the link below to follow my journey. 53 Stude.jpg

Model T1 likes this.
  12. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I built this one about 8 years ago. I miss it sometimes and would definitely build another one someday.

[​IMG]

It was in California for a bit, now I think it might be elsewhere. If anyone has seen it, gimme a holler.

See ya, -Abone.

swade41 likes this.
  13. Light years ahead in style,,,,make my '53 Desoto "Club Coupe" look like a TANK,,,

14. A simply beautiful car !! Would love to own one one day , there was a stunning dare I say 'Pro-Tourer' in Canada that was for sale on Expensive-bay for a while !!

15. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

I think the 53 Starliners styling is timeless. I've always wanted one. Had a couple of leads over the years but they always turned out to be a wild goose chase. Oh well, you've got to follow up on them - maybe the next lead will be a winner - yeah that's the ticket.

16. 26 roadster

26 roadster

Love to find a solid one, Caddy, trans, front end and 9" put back for it

17. khead47

khead47

Had a 53 about 6 yrs ago. It had a super straight-rust free body. Was in the process of installing a 500 Caddy. Deeper I got, the more structural rot I found. Sold it.