Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1953 sombrero conversion

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by reversehalo, Dec 26, 2013.

1. reversehalo

reversehalo
    from Waxhaw, NC

I though I'd seen a thread here on how to take the stock backs off a 53 Cad wheel covers, and install a set of trim ring fingers. I can find it. Anyone seen a tutorial on doing this?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. You can use panel bond two part expoy that body shops use to glue door skins together. You use 15 or 16 inch beauty rings like on mid 80's GM cars. You cut the center piece out of the back side of the caddy cap and then glue it to the beauty ring.

3. reversehalo

reversehalo
    from Waxhaw, NC

Is there anyway to apply clips to brand new steel wheels so I don't need to modify the caps, but the rim instead?

4. speaks

speaks
    1. 4 door kustoms

5. reversehalo

reversehalo
    from Waxhaw, NC

That's it thanks!

Still, is it not easier to add clips to a stock rim, than to modify the cover?

6. jamcoupe

jamcoupe

The inside bowl on the hubcap needs to be removed because it bottoms out before the hubcap sits flush with the wheel. You would not have anything for the clips to grab on to after removing this.

7. I have wondered that myself….
    I have a couple caddy wheels with the clips and like the way the caps float just off the rim.

8. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

I took my stock cad wheels to the wheelsmith in orange county with a cad hubcap, they removed the cad center and put it in a 15 inch hoop w/a 14inch center the wheels are on my 36 roadster. On my 48 cad I use the 53 cad wheels that have clips on outer diameter, 53 caps were made with two styles to mount. Most with the center clip as mentioned, also with the outer clips which are harder to find. I tried the trim ring added to the center mount style, but wasn't happy with them.