Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1953 Pontiac Catalina Build "The Dahlia"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EastSidePoncho, Jun 21, 2013.

1. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Hey TruckDrivingSOB, I actually have two for sale, a running motor that came from a 52 and the original motor off my 53.. I can't post the link at the moment because I'm on my phone but you can do a search and it should turn up.

2. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

I'm on it!...lol...

3. holt1

holt1

Thanks! I scored some silver tuck and roll bucket seats for it so I gotta get the floors done. Also gonna yank the timing assembly open and see if something in there has the motor locked up. After dumping as much stuff as I have on top of the pistons it makes no sense that a 6 foot breaker bar hasn't got it loose.

4. volksjunky

volksjunky

Pretty damn sweet man !

5. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Thanks man, I appreciate the compliment!

6. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Well fellas, today I learned the Importance of "Long tailshaft" Vs "Short" that plus the yoke I have for the trans didn't match, and the crossmember is a little to high. Now I'm not sure what route to take..

Should I buy the tailshaft and housing and have it swapped... or
    should I just buy a 400 trans with the short tailshaft.. I found one locally for not to bad a price? feedback will be appreciated, thanks fellas..

7. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Got a nice surprise text message from David over at David's Polishing in Motebello, Ca..
    It was a sneak peek at my pot metal pieces that are almost finished, I should have them within a day or two. Thought Id share my excitement with you, as I'm pretty excited about the chrome!
    [​IMG]

8. missedmyexit

missedmyexit

Looking good! That tranny problem is holding me up currently too. That trim is going to look awesome installed in the sunshine!

9. mob53

mob53

I'm not sure I understand the problem you're having with the tranny. Can you elaborate?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Yeah man I hear you.. It sucks, but its only a minor set back :)

I guess I didnt really post any real details did I? LOL Well mob53, when I finally got underneath the car to try and fit a driveshaft for measurement I realized...

1. The Crossmember was about 1.5 Inches to high.. I don't have a yoke for the trans yet so I know that would have helped and also raised a red flag.. either way not a big deal, we'll make another..

2. The end of the Tailshaft is to close to the inside point on the "X" so the "U" joints from the driveshaft will hit the frame.. some told me to cut the opening wider but I dont want to do that.. Bright side is I found a Short tail 400 Trans, I'm picking it up next weekend. Its 4-5 Inches shorter and that should be more than enough to clear..

[​IMG]

11. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Got a call from my polisher's that a few of my pieces were finished, so I picked them up and brought them home.. "I'm thinking of shaving the doors on the poncho so those handles might be up for grabs soon" I'm extremely satisfied with how they came out and cant wait to get the rest...

[​IMG]

Also since I've had a little "down" time, and the motor it is in, and I dont need the extra room to get in under so much anymore, and well, I was bored, I decided to adjust the stance again :D

[​IMG]

Hope you all enjoy the rest of your weekend :)

12. BabbitBeater

BabbitBeater
    from Colorado

Looking good! Keep up the good work! I think you will be happy with the powerplant, and you didn't scrap the old iron ice chest, so someone else can use it. I drive 25 miles each way to work in my more door Chevy with a 261. I lose 10 pounds in sweat on our 100 degree days. Reliable and cool for people who know what it is, but I drive it waaay more than I show it off. The one big advantage is 20-22 mpg on the Chevy 6. I've only heard anecdotal stuff on the Pontiac Eights fuel economy...

That chrome looks awesome!

Keep taking your time and doing things right!

13. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Thanks BabbitBeater, I dont really have a choice in the matter "MONEY" or the lack of is making me take my time...LOL... but it really does give me time to think my decisions through and through to make sure I like where Im taking it :)

14. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Not much of an update.. I've been bored fellas. I haven't really done much, but I did get a few goodies for the engine to dress it up a bit.. I figured even if its not the progress I wanted at the moment, its progress none the less...lol... Here are the Valve Covers and Air cleaner I decided to run with...
    [​IMG]

I went ahead and put some of the trim back, I'll probably be painting the roof and dash in the next few weeks... Im hoping that will get me pushing even harder to get me on the road
    [​IMG]

And last but not least... I finally found the parts I need to convert the Trans.. stay tuned...LOL..
    [​IMG]

15. SoCal

SoCal

It's still progress! Look forward to seeing some paint.

16. Old Iron Nut

Old Iron Nut

More progress than I've had the last few months, been tough to find time working 70-80 weeks and having a family.

17. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Thanks SoCal, I'm pretty excited about the paint too...

Old Iron Nut, I hear you on that... I cant even imagine..

18. BeckSpeed

BeckSpeed

great build! I'm doing a '53 poncho myself - I saw you had the trim for sale. Is that still available? thanks

19. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Hey BeckSpeed, thank you. I'd love to see your 53. Unfortunately I traded the trim for work on my car, sorry. Thanks for your interest though..

20. Enjoying your build thread, keep it coming.

21. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

thanks man, I appreciate it.. I'm trying..lol..

22. BabbitBeater

BabbitBeater
    from Colorado

Any new progress to report?

23. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Unfortunately BabbitBeater, my daily driver broke down on me and was forced to buy a new car...that set me back some, but Ill have something worth posting soon ;)

24. squeaky32

squeaky32

beautiful looking car, i love the engine color, its making me rethink my whole engine bay haha

25. BabbitBeater

BabbitBeater
    from Colorado

Thanks for the fuel pump! I'll have to coat it in 3 inches of grease then bake it on to make sure it matches the rest of the "engine patina" on my silver streak. ;)

Don't let to much life get in your way too much, update us when you get a chance.

26. sololobo

sololobo

I. B. Liken that look, nice job bro. These are such sweet rides. keep up the good work. ~sololobo~

27. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

squeaky32, thank you... I always have folks in my part of town asking "why gold?"..lol..

BabbitBeater No problem..glad I could help out ;)

sololobo Thanks man, I'm tryin...

28. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

I've been pretty quite as of late.. like BabbitBeater said, life has gotten in my way..lol.. anyhow heres a quick update for ya'll, theres kind of a long story behind this but I'll cut to the chase.

I found a good working th400 trans with the short tail shaft for a very decent price, so I picked it up and brought it home :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm hoping to swap them out sometime during the week so Ill keep you posted..

Also if anyone is interested I now have a spare short output shaft and housing for the 400 in case someone is looking.
    [​IMG]

29. squeaky32

squeaky32

I plan on two toning my paint, interior and engine bay gold and white, I've gotten asked that too. I just tell them because its classy.

30. ClassicDriver

ClassicDriver

Very cool build. Subscribed