Register now to get rid of these ads!

1953 Pontiac buildup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by plumfat40, Nov 3, 2008.

1. plumfat40

plumfat40
    from colorado

Here are some pictures of my 1953 Pontiac Catalina hardtop. Purchased in 1985 in Calhan Colorado for $150.00 installed nova sub and sandblasted front clip for a super slick paintjob. Project derailed till 2008 and then added smallblock chev. rebuilt frontend, added granada rear and mustang fueltank, added new stock interior then hand painted the front end to match the stock paint, lots of paintbrush and sponge time, but worth it. The new style of a SLICK paintjob!!! Installed new steelies and have sent my 1952 Pontiac dogdish caps to the wheelsmith to adapt them to fit... This car is an absolute kick in the ass!!! And peoples reactions are priceless.... Let me know what ya think!!!!!

Attached Files:

2. shpotty

shpotty
    from New Jersey

Very cool ride...of course I am a little biased.

3. so thats a faux patina? either way the car looks awesome. glad those 1985 wheels are gone.

4. plumfat40

plumfat40
    from colorado

Only fake on the front clip, the rest is OEM!!! ha ha

Attached Files:

5. plumfat40

plumfat40
    from colorado

And those 17 inch billets, sure gotta lot of crap about those, this car was just run whatever I had around!!! they worked for a little while, lol:D

6. 53chieftian

53chieftian

Man thats creepy! Here's mine before and after installing 55 caddy headlights!

Attached Files:

7. plumfat40

plumfat40
    from colorado

Wow thats crazy how similar they are, this one had a dark green top now just cool rust!!!!!:D

8. 2-TONED

2-TONED

loooks good!
    you sure did a 'great' job on that front clip!
    i really respect a good faux patina job!

twin sisters. i wonder if you "lay as much rubber" as '53chieftian'' does! :D
    hes been know to """smoke""" out a 'whole town!!! (not a big town) but smoke does roll out of those little wheel openings enough to fill 4-5 city blocks!
    there are old ladys out wanderin around in the smoke wondering if a plane crashed or what the hells on fire..............................

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  9. I like it a lot dude. tasty mint color.

10. Awesome paint job!...sounds like a nice ride.

11. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

hey plum post some more pics, got any of the mustang tank? and wat nova clip did u use?

12. Midnight 50

Midnight 50

Love that car! Especially it's stance. That's where I want my poncho to sit.

13. plumfat40

plumfat40
    from colorado

The sub is 72 chev nova, which has rear steer, and if you look at the picture i placed it high up in the pontiac frame so i didnt have to cut the coils to get the car down, I will send a couple pics of the tank, the tank was slick 67-68 mustang it fit perfect between the wheel well and spare tire well, had to bend the mounting flange on each side slightly.. car does sit and ride good!!!!

Attached Files:

14. BabbitBeater

BabbitBeater
    from Colorado

Nice ride. I am supremely jealous. No chance its for sale?

15. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow! This came out of nowhere! Awesome! Love this car!

16. sololobo

sololobo

Sweeet Poncho bro, love these metal striped beautys. It just amazes me when folks remove those chrome trim striped hoods and decks for a plano chevy substitute, wtf. Coolsville man!! Thanx for sharing the faux treatment. Keep on keepen on!! ~Sololobo~

17. russnunn

russnunn
    from Florida

cool ride man. looks great

18. plumfat40

plumfat40
    from colorado

Not a chance, I have a few cars, this is my favorite. Owned since 1985, so its probably a keeper

19. BabbitBeater

BabbitBeater
    from Colorado

Cool. Hope I get to see it some time. Where are you in CO?

20. plumfat40

plumfat40
    from colorado

Colorado Springs

21. no shit man, I am in the springs also. I own a 49 plymouth and my buddy has a 52 plymouth. Any chance we could come check it out some time? PM me if so. SWEET RIDE!!

josh

22. BabbitBeater

BabbitBeater
    from Colorado

23. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

Love the 53 Pontiac. Got one, in stock format however, original "patina" also though mine's in black.

Here he is. His name is Herman (from Herman Munster)

[​IMG]

He's still pushing his original L8 though rebuilt. Great cars!

24. TheMonkey

TheMonkey
    from MN

25. BabbitBeater

BabbitBeater
    from Colorado

JDHolmes, you need to have that L8 push it around the block a few times to knock that dust off. Nice ride though.

26. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Very nice indeed, 53 Ponchos are beautiful, i like the Patina and w/ the black smoothies it looks the part,
    Also the trim on the hood and trunk is very nice and makes them stand out.
    IMO these cars done up well look like caddies, check Buzz Bomb's 53 here on the Hamb,
    its 53 Poncho haven dude! Hes from the Devils Venice in case you have trouble findin it.

27. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

:) Old pic right after I got it and it was sitting in the garage waiting for the motor rebuild. He does get out now and then

28. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

PLUMFAT...learn something new every day, i didn't know pontiacs came with a granada rearend!...POP.

29. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any chance you (or anyone else reading) might have some pictures of what the grille looks like off the car?? I'm missing the entire grille assembly for mine. I have only the upper bar that mounts to the hood. Missing everything else.

I have 54 grille parts and it looks like the curved pieces to either side of the hood bar do not work with the 53 bar. Also, it looks like the apron doesn't get the chromed panel on the 53 either.

Anything you guys could share would be great!