Register now to get rid of these ads!

1953 Plymouth Cranbrook

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Captain-Awesome, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Captain-Awesome

Captain-Awesome

Hello everyone. My project is “Delores” a 1953 Cranbrook. I figure many of you have done something similar so I’m hoping you can help a rookie out! I plan on running a Dodge 318. This is my first attempt at a project like this. I’m wondering what my options are for the drive shaft. I have a 904 transmission and am planning on using the original rear end unless there is a reason to swap it out.

The emergency brake on this car is part of the transmission.

I will need to modify the gear shifter (3 on tree) to work with the automatic transmission.

Any thoughts on how to handle the e-brake or gear shifter?

Thanks all!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi & welcome. I am working on a 1950 Plymouth Deluxe 4 door which is similar to what you have. Does your have the weird knuckle type U joint also. If so that will have to go most likely with an automatic. Likely you will have to have a new drive shaft made but there are shops all over that specialize in this.
    I have the same E-brake you have and if you cannot fit it to the new tranny you will likely have to at least change rear backing plates & brakes because those rear brakes you have do not have provision for an E-brake. This might be enough reason to also swap rear ends.
    For the automatic shifter you will need to either change to a more modern steering column or get something a Lokar automatic floor shifter.
    Does you car have that huge under hood heater like I have that runs the length of the engine? Not sure if it will clear the 318 or not. I plan on pulling it later and adding a vintage air with heat & defrost but nobody offers a compressor bracket for a Plymouth something like before 65 & I will have to totally fab the bracket from scratch. But you should be ok on that with the 318 engine if you want air.
    I have found several good sources for parts for my 50 and some are reasonable and some sources are not. Look online at Roberts Motor Parts as he has a lot of stuff and is the most reasonable priced. If you need more sources let me know. I included a photo of mine when I brought it home and have not taken any more yet.
    Where are you located at as likely some of us may be nearby. Jimmie
    IMG_2604.jpg

3. Captain-Awesome

Captain-Awesome

Thanks Jimmie. I will look at the u joint. I’m just outside of Nashville, TN.
    Am I posting in the correct forum?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. ol-nobull

ol-nobull