Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1953 Plymouth Cranbrook - Plain Jane

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ramrod36, Aug 8, 2018.

1. ramrod36

ramrod36
    from Upstate NY

Meet my new project - Plain Jane. Jane is a 1953 Plymouth Cranbrook that I acquired in May of this year. I have known Jane for over 40 years. A good friend of mine, Nick, restored Jane in the late 1970's. We would travel together to shows and meets. As I was driving either my 1955 Chrysler New Yorker or my 1949 DeSoto, Nick named the car Plain Jane and she has been called Jane ever since. Nick passed away in 2001 and his son inherited the car. His son relocated out west and left Jane in the care of his son. When they decided that they would not be doing anything with Jane other than storing her, they decide to place her in a good home. I got the call and the rest is history.

She runs like the proverbial watch. Paint is very good for being 40 years old. Interior need some freshening up and that will be done this coming winter. I am going through the brakes now and have new Cokers waiting to go on. I do not intend to do many changes. She will be lowered some and wear the skirts that Nick had put on her years ago.

Attached Files:

• 735.JPG
      735.JPG
      File size:
      309.5 KB
      Views:
    • 740.JPG
      740.JPG
      File size:
      287.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Latigo, Clay Belt, 302GMC and 6 others like this.
  2. 62rebel

62rebel

Excellent addition to your fleet.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I have owned a few '53 Plymouths, two convertibles many years ago (in the '60s), and a couple of Belvedere hardtops several years ago (early '90s) and have always had a soft spot for them. Though they were a new body design for '53, they continued with the traditional Mopar well engineered chassis and powertrain.

I currently have a '49 Club Coupe (2 dr sedan) bought in 1995 that is already, and will continue to be, a long term keeper. Love those old Mopars!

Your's is a Sweetheart and I love the name ......wishing you lots of enjoyment with 'Jane'.

Regards,
    Ray

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  4. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lots of cruising miles ahead....picked up this one recently.... image.jpg

302GMC and Hnstray like this.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats - maybe call "plane Jane" for all of the flying down the highway that you will be doing

Hnstray likes this.
  6. ramrod36

ramrod36
    from Upstate NY

Thanks for the comments. Jane will not be changing hands any time soon as I intend to enjoy cruising in her. The blue Desoto in the picture was the one mentioned as having traveled to shows with Jane. They will be going out together again pretty soon.

CHOPTOP40 - Nice find. Maybe we will see you at the Rhinebeck meet next May.

7. catdad49

catdad49

Jane is very similar to the one I learned to drive a 'three on the tree' on. Finished my education in a Duece and a half courtesy of Uncle Sam. You're names not Dick, is it?! Just kidding, don't forget the after pics.

302GMC likes this.
  8. They are very nice cars, glad it fell into good hands.