Register now to get rid of these ads!

1953 Plymouth Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bcpdxxx, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Bcpdxxx

Bcpdxxx

So I picked up a Plymouth 2 door for my girlfriend as a winter project. Plan on keeping most of the original running gear, do a chop and lower by cutting coils and running blocks on the rear... As I only have time between 10pm and 2 am most days to work on it I imagine this one will take a while but I will posting mostly progress pics and I'm sure asking you all for advise along the way ... So as for now I have just gutted the interior to see how the floors look more to come

Attached Files:

2. HotRod_Joe

HotRod_Joe

Should be a cool project! Keep us updated, and good luck!

3. Spanish Fly

Spanish Fly

4. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Mopar or no car...

5. George

George

Be sure that you'll be able to get the rear wheels out between the drum & fender....

6. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

This car is sweet. I have a 54 Savoy I have been mobbing around in all summer, but is due for a major over haul soon. Suspension, engine, chop etc. soon . Pics of mine in my profile.

Good luck with yours!

7. snelson57

snelson57

I can dig it...I wonder what it would look like if you hardtopped it when you chopped it. I think a really subtle chop, too - like a couple three inches.

8. Bcpdxxx

Bcpdxxx

Thanks guys this is my first mopar so it will be a cool change of pace from my olds alot smaller too haha... I have been kickin the idea around of a hard top conversion but have never tried that before and have no idea what all is involved with getting the window action correct so any pointers would be awesome ...about to start digging into it right now so I will post more pics later tonight

9. Bcpdxxx

Bcpdxxx

So after digging into the the car a bit more last night realized my floors and rockers definatly have to be replaced ... Car looked pretty good from underneath when inspecting before I got it but... after gutting the interior and pulling carpet and sound deadened I saw to my surprise TONS of newspaper covered with roofing tar and and bondo ... I really hope this isn't an indication of the rest of the car ... I'm deciding to strip most of the car down with a fine tooth comb before I do any major repairs just to see what's really here

10. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

Thats funny, thats where Im at.:D

11. Bcpdxxx

Bcpdxxx

Ok so worked a bit on the car tonight found a bit of rust that will need patching in the quarter panels on the drivers side between the door and rear wheel opening and on the pass side in the wheel opening and a few inches back probably gonna have to make a panel for drivers side and buy a patch for pass side along with new rockers any way got all glass removed
    Galvanized and riveted patch somebody put in that needs removing
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1343716521.299638.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1343716671.232235.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1343716724.086815.jpg

12. Moedog07

Moedog07

Call me a weirdo but I like those old Mopars with a mild chop.

13. Bcpdxxx

Bcpdxxx

Moedog07 starting the the chop soon I think about 3 upfront and 3.5 to 4 in the back as I have a surplus of of scrap to brace the car and chop it while I'm waiting / searching for patch panels i need to do the body work and floors

14. Bcpdxxx

Bcpdxxx

Started measuring and prepping for lowering the roof ... Looking like 3 up front and 5 in the rear got it all taped up measured again and the door frames cut tonight more tomorrow I hope

Attached Files:

15. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

Looks cool, really want to chop my 54 Savoy too!

16. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Looking good !

17. rocknroad

rocknroad
    1. SoCal HAMBers

Keep us posted! How are you dealing with the glass?

18. sierra rod shop

sierra rod shop

19. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

great car to chop up and make cool. These are the cars that should be getting cut up. they are ugly from the factory. A 32 ford coupe is sexy from the factory. Just sayen.

20. mustangsix

mustangsix

53 Plymouth 2dr was my first car (I was only 13, almost 14).

I stripped off the bumpers and hubcaps, painted it with some rustoleum, and repaired the floors with some tin roofing. Put in a new clutch and drove it for another year before selling it to my best friend. God, I loved that car!

21. Bcpdxxx

Bcpdxxx

Thanks guys just got up and don't have to work so hopefully I can get on this again today...
    Rocknroad I'm going to be trimming the windshield, making new patterns and using modern side glass and using lexan for the backlight

22. 'Mo

'Mo

Wow, You don't mess around!
    The proportions you have planned sound great.
    Will you be keeping the :cool: flathead 6? Edgy makes some hop-up parts.
    http://www.edgyspeedshop.com/products.html

BTW, I found this pic on another thread. (Sorry 'bout the size. :eek:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  23. Bcpdxxx

Bcpdxxx

'mo yeah keeping the flathead 6
    And got all the braces in now time to lop the top no going back now haha ... Also since I have no friends and my girlfriends son is only 4 I had to to some creative problem solving with lifting the roof so some ratchet straps have become my new best friend I think it will work out rather well

Attached Files:

24. Bcpdxxx

Bcpdxxx

So I need to make quite a few more relief cuts to start getting this thing to even come close to gettin it really put back on but it's gettin there ... I really like the profile now, but do you guys think I should tilt the b pillars or move them back and keep them straight ????? I can't decide !!!HELP!!!

Attached Files:

25. silverdome

silverdome

A wider angle on the side view such as the whole car will help to make that decision.

26. Bcpdxxx

Bcpdxxx

Silverdome here ya go sorry my garage is super small so this is the best I can do

Attached Files:

27. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

28. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

looks great dude! keep up the good work.

29. Bcpdxxx

Bcpdxxx

Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement doing this on my own without a second set of eyes in the garage is stressful but you all have been a lifesaver
    Mrjynx I'm glad u found this thread ... I have been greatly helped by your photochops and I think after looking at then again I will tilt the b pillars ... But when welding my braces I put one a little to close to the bottom of the pillar so tomorrow night I'll have to retrace that section so I can slice the pillars to tilt them

30. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

Having not chopped a roof myself I imagine its a pretty daunting task.
    also having sat back and watched a lot of guys here do it, Ive seen them use cardboard templates so they know what theyre aiming for.
    It looks like the top still needs to come down an inch or two. I simply warped it down to fit the green line but you can see on the bottom one that its high.
    What I found was when lowering the roof that the bottom of that back pillar ended up lower than the bottom of the window frame so I also warped/shrunk the red bit at the back of the glass to make that curve nicer.

[​IMG]