Register now to get rid of these ads!

1953 mopar desoto with a 318 engine?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mackster, Aug 27, 2006.

1. mackster

mackster

I have a 1953 desoto with a flat six that can not be driven in the freeeway(too slow). I have the oportunity to buy a 318 engine from a fellow nearby that I would like to install in my desoto (can't afford a hemi right now) How much extra work would I have to do to get this motor in? Do I need an Adapter? has anyone out there done something like this before? Any input will be appreciated... :confused:

2. cody440

cody440

check out Andy Bernbaum, its parts for early chrysler products, i was looking to do this to my 50, I think you need motor mounts and transmission mounts. Check put Plydo too, if you search these on google youll find there sites.

3. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Most V8's will have an interference problem withthe stock steering box. You can offset the engine to the pass side, or look for the stock manifolds that rise to the level of the valve covers. (forget what thay came on.) You probably want to swap the engine and tranny also, and maybe even the rear end, if you donor is a B body the rear end is a pretty easy swap, you gotta message the spring monts and u bolts a bit, and configure the driveshaft to fit. 318's while not a real power house are bulletproof reliable and fairly economical when paired with the right rear end. Had a Dodge conversion van with the 318 (230K miles) torque flite with TC lockup and 3.23 rear got me between 17 and 19 mpg.

4. Try "A" body (Dart/Valiant, etc.) manifolds.

Also look at Tex Smith's book on MoPar hot rods. Details a 318 swap into similar era dodge/plymouth (no bigger than a desoto!). Has info on engine mounts, but they look like you could fab 'em yourself if you have cutting and welding capabilities.

-bill

5. mackster

mackster

Thanks for the imput, I only have the chance to buy the engine so I am seriously thinking if it is worth it....I would have to reuse the same rear and and transmission... What do you all think?

6. I really don't think the 318 will bolt up to your stock tranny. If you really want to drop that in there, though, your going to need to find a tranny and rearend, too. 904's are cheap and reliable. I heard that a 1957 Ford 9in will bolt right up to your stock leafs.

check out http://www.chassisengineeringinc.com/ they have the motor and tranny mounts you'll need.

i hope this helps. good luck.

-Vince

7. George

George

Change the tranny! The stock one isn't much to talk about. Probably isn't an adaptor to put it to a modern 318, not that you would want to. I'd drop in the 318 & a 904 or 727.

8. yep. listen to this guy. the 318 will have way more power than the stock tranny could handle. and that's if you could even put them together, which I highly doubt. the stock flat-6 only puts out around 93 hp.

you going to want a new rear, too, because the stock one is a closed driveline and im not too sure how it would hook up. im sure it can be done, though. think about the gearing, too.

if i were you, i would find a donor car. like a 64-74 dart or valiant. take everything you need from it. that's what i did. i bought a running 66 plymouth valiant for $250. i pulled the 273 V8 (which is the same size as your 318 on the outside) the 904 tranny, the driveshaft, and rearend. im in the process of bolting it all up in my 50 dodge right now.

9. RATCAMINO

RATCAMINO

htey can be a power house if you want i had one i built in a 70 challenger made 406hp 395ftlb
    on the dyno and i drove it on the street