Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1953 Ford What motor to run in it.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by scrap_metal, Oct 12, 2017.

1. And to hear the Y block guys tell it back in the day their souped up 312 would blow the doors off of that 12 second sleeper! I always liked the FE swap and in the 60,s I did several.

2. k9racer

k9racer

The big problem with Ford power is needing a Rear sump oil pan. If using a GM rear sump engine just drop the drag link center. About 6 decades ago they were sold thru speed shops. I just cut the center of link close to inner tie rod them weld a plate and drop the center. I have owned several 52 53 Fords. Power plants were 215/223 and 262 truck 6 cyl engines. Of coarse Flat head. Then I had a Frick conversion with a Cad engine. Then small block chev. For a 3rd member a 55 thru 57 chevy worked out very well in these cars. . Not very easy to find now a days. If you need a higher rear ratio find a rear gear from a 6 cyl automatic car around a 3.4 ratio. as stated before most stick cars had 3.9 and 4.1 ratios.

3. scrap_metal

scrap_metal

Sound like a lot of options will work I would like to do the way they did back in the late 50s or 60s. So it sounds like a 289 will bolt right in and fit up to the trans with no problem. only need to figure out the oil pan and pick up. What pan would I use ? Squablow said a bronco would work ? what years ?

4. Just make your own rear sump pan cut up a couple of front sump pans and weld them to whatever configuration you need. extend the pickup tube to the rear. That 53 has the kingpin front suspension. I would get a frame clip from a ford galaxie and weld it on. better steering and brakes front sump oil pan clears. stock factory engine mounts. easier to find hedders that fit.

5. phat rat

phat rat

If you want it to be what was popular in the late 50's early 60's it wouldn't be a Ford ohv motor. It would be one of these, sbc, nailhead, Hemi, Olds or Cad. Those are traditional for the era.

Hombre and TagMan like this.
  6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had a friend in the late 50's with a 53 that had a 57 Olds and a hydro in it. Looked kinda stock outside but ran very strong for the time. Watched him shut down many of the fast cars from that time. Sounded mellow too until he uncorked the headers. Was a sweet combo.

bchctybob likes this.
  7. Squablow

Squablow

289 will not bolt up to the original flathead trans. There were adapters made to bolt ohv engines to the flathead transmissions but ive never heard of one for an sbf, although they might have existed. I have one that i will use to mate a 265 Chevy to a 50 F-1 trans for my 34 Ford.

Sent from my LG-M153 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. jazz1

jazz1

It would depend on budget. I would look for donor vehicle so I could get everything required if a flat head was not available. Used pre '92 running pickups with decent V8's can be had cheap. I paid $150 for a donor vehicle that had rebuilt V6, also used the posi rear end (S10 Blazer)

9. oldsman41

oldsman41

well it is your car but fe motor would be my choice

Old wolf likes this.
  10. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

dang. soooo many choices. personally i'd go 500 ci cad and overdrive auto trans. and glue or decal with 'ford'

really.

most will think it is cool.

11. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

FE is king in early Ford . Almost a bolt in swap . Gets a little weird around the steering but well worth the effort to complete the swap. I had a 53 coupe in HS . 428 , FMX , 57 9 inch rear . Fun car , I used 63 Rad Never remember any over heat issues except for early Chebbies drivers crying foul when I opened the hoood after spankin the go pedal on them !

Old wolf likes this.
  12. scrap_metal

scrap_metal

I found a 352fe motor and trans for 1000. running I think this is the way I might go. does any one know if the oil pan need modified.

bchctybob, mkebaird and Old wolf like this.
  13. cb186

cb186

Flathead. Only other option should be a Y-Block.

Anything else, blah!

wvenfield likes this.
  14. phat rat

phat rat

What's more hot rod then a Hemi? For you guys hollering for a Y block. In the late 50's early 60's I can't remember anyone swapping a flathead for a Y block in a car as late as a 49-53. Heck a couple of guys I went to school with even swapped their sbc for nailheads

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  15. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

scrap_metal likes this.
  16. khead47

khead47

Too bad you are on the left coast. Right now on the Detroit CL there is a 53 Ford that looks like a tree fell on it. Been listed for a while. Has a 390 FE in it. $1500 obo !

17. If you don't run the flattie, small block Ford all day long.

JeffB2 likes this.
  18. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

64-66 Nailhead Buick with 400 trans and 10 or 12 bolt GM rear end!!

19. scrap_metal

scrap_metal

So I ended up getting a 289 / c4 trans out of a 1968 ford mustang. It was running great according to the previse owner Only reason they pulled it was they wanted to put a bigger motor in car. long story short paid $200 for it. What's in line?
    I'm going to find a bronco pan and rear oil pickup because I'm told this is needed to clear the cross member.
    Also new motor mounts and trans mount. Any help on mounts that don't brake the bank would be helpful. I've seen kits for around 180.00 not including shipping. You would think there is another option that's compatible. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

warhorseracing and Squablow like this.
  20. fullhouse296

fullhouse296
    from Australia

21. fullhouse296

fullhouse296
    from Australia

Flatheads appear a bit daunting for the uninitiated ,but the problems of overheating ,underpowered and expensive rebuilds are all relative and have been adressed in many recent publications . As I see it ,they are only original once .Rebuild the engine with 286 rotating assembly,cost roundybawt 8K .fit loonymum heads ,4/71 GMC blower ,new 4 core rad etc and youre good to go .All your concerns are in a 2ft cube .

22. blvdbill

blvdbill
    from California

I bought the black victoria from the same guy .running , flathead and fordomatic.
    Drove it home 53 ford Victoria.jpg

23. scrap_metal

scrap_metal

Cool. He had a couple other cars also. Not sure if he sold them all or not. You must have picked up that vic before me. As I didn't see that one there. I'm going to save flat head for a 30s build.

24. blvdbill

blvdbill
    from California

They sold the white vic and gave me the 4 door parts car.

25. scrap_metal

scrap_metal

Buy chance did you get a extra set of bumper brackets. We couldn't find the set for the car.

26. blvdbill

blvdbill
    from California

I got the ones that came with the 4 door

27. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Use this kit: http://www.butchscoolstuff.com/52-53-ford-car-15-sb-ford-engine-transmission-mount-kit-2501cpb/ It uses the common later dual sump oil pan: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Oil...764608&hash=item41c6c748da:g:q2wAAOSwBkRaAvqN Matching pick up: https://www.ebay.com/itm/83-93-Ford...623983?hash=item5aeb3bd6af:g:JEAAAOSwNZtZxQgn Here is one installed in a '53. Butch's '53 swap.jpg

Attached Files:

28. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

29. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

One very important note ;) 1henry.jpg