Register now to get rid of these ads!

1953 Ford Header Recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rriehm, Oct 16, 2012.

1. rriehm

rriehm

We are in the process of street rodding a 1953 Ford Customline. You can see pictures here: http://www.popsclassychassis.com/53Ford.asp.

It will come has no surprise to most that the original flathead was stuck. We decided install a Ford 5.0 & automatic we got in trade from something else. It was a throttle body, but we converting it back to carburetor. We have no idea what it came out of. We found it in a Hudson Hornet. We bought a motor mount set from ButchsCoolStuff.com.

We are fitting the engine/transmission under the hood. We are having a clearance issue with the driver's side exhaust manifold. It is hitting the steering box. Does anyone have any experience putting a 5.0 in an early 1950's Ford?

Our priority with the header purchase is: fit, price and then performance. We figure the Customline will be faster than it needs to be with a stock 5.0. Extra horse power is always nice, but I'm more worried about damage to my wallet.

Any advice is appreciated.

RR
    Tags: 1949, 1950, 1951, 1953, 1954, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, Mercury

2. mr50s

mr50s

Hey rriehm,

Might consider checking the catalogues of headers manufacturers who still make them to fit mid-60s Ford Falcons. That type of header will give you the small-block Ford fit, plus a rearward exhaust dump of four pipes into one collector exiting beside the transmission. Good luck!!

mr50s

3. EchoOfGecko

EchoOfGecko

I believe Hedman 88420s or 88400s are the headers you will need to clear the steering box and flathead-to-SBF motor mounts, but you might post up in the 52-59 ford group to be certain. I think the 88420s are the flathead swap headers, and 88400s are for 54+ cars and exit further back like the 60s Falcons to clear the mounts and the steering gear, but the 52/53 info came second hand so I would double check your application to be sure and maybe call Hedman.

Check out the link to the FAQs in my sig, there should be a few links to threads on headers for swaps that may be helpful.

By the way, the link to your pictures doesn't seem to work.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  4. That engine setup in the 52 -54's is pretty common. There are bound to be several sources for headers for it.