Register now to get rid of these ads!

1953 ford customline overdrive 3 speed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chad_The_Sailor, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Chad_The_Sailor

Chad_The_Sailor

Hey guys I got this car and I just realized it has a overdrive 3 speed. I must admit I have no experience with a overdrive setup. The main reason for this post is, how to check for proper operation, also I am converting it over to 12v and using a speedway wiring harness. So I guess I really need a wiring diagram

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, Chad the Sailor, the '56 Ford started the 12 volt system, so you should be able to simply find/buy the solenoid and kickdown relay from a '56-up Ford 3-spd trans. Ford made plenty of them. I have two '49-'53 O.D. trans to be used someday, I hope. Good luck.

3. You shouldn't be limited to Ford-only parts; these trans were built by Borg-warner and used in virtually all 50s cars, and while there are some differences, quite few parts do interchange. The relay should be common to any overdrive, and there isn't that many versions of the solenoid either...

4. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

The OD wires are really separate from the rest of the harness--- basically a mini harness of its own. It takes power from the ignition coil feed wire at the coil, not the main fuse panel.

The 6 volt OD components will work on 12 volts, and will work with the 6 volt wires, unless the old wires are frayed and corroded.

Wiring diagrams can be found on the 'net, on the HAMB, Ford Barn, the Green Bible, etc.

5. Whatever you do, don't use the speedway kit. Get the 9+3 kit from rebel wire. I put that in my 53 and it was a snap.

6. Chad_The_Sailor

Chad_The_Sailor

Thanks guys for all the info, I will def check into rebel wiring

7. carnut341

carnut341

I have a 53 Ford 6 cyl with overdrive. It worked fine on 6 volts. When I changed over to 12 volts it stopped working I checked around and everybody said you had to change the solenoid to 12 volts. If you get it working with 6 volts let us know!

8. Pheaton193

Pheaton193
    from Reno, NV

Want to sell one?

9. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought a reproduction 1956 Ford overdrive harness because it was fairly cheap and easy to install. You should be able to find a wiring diagram using the search for "overdrive".

I really like driving overdrive and have owned many cars with overdrive transmissions.

watch the driving video I made, in this thread, to see how to use your overdrive.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=808252&showall=1

For freeway driving I went to some taller rear gears to make it easier on the old flat motor at freeway speeds. 3.70 or 3.55 will give you good cruising speed with out over revving the old V8.

If you have a lot of hills to drive through in urban areas, stop, pull out the overdrive cable, and you now have a regular 3 speed trans with compression braking, which saves on the brake shoes. Don't pull the cable out when moving and make sure it moves in and out freely and completely when you operate it.

In old Ford and Mercury cars, the "kickdown" switch is under the accelerator pedal in the floor. Most of them are rusty and shot with corroded and bad wiring, causing the OD not to work.

There is a lot of good OD info on the HAMB.

overspray