Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1953 flathead in 1931 Model A

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ShiftyRat, Jan 29, 2012.

1. ShiftyRat

ShiftyRat

I am sure this question has been asked a hundred times but i have not been able to find it. Can I squeeze a 53 flatty into a stock model a frame without cutting the firewall. If yes can somebody point me in the right direction with a generator fan setup. I have the truck water pumps already. I am running a hogshead with a 1939 Lincoln transmission. I have 32 shaft and shifter leaver installed in the tranny. Also have 32 crossmember and 32 pedals.
    Thanks for the help!
    Chad

2. ShiftyRat

ShiftyRat

It seems like the earlier generator with the fan mounted to the front of it may offer the solution I am looking for. Has any one done this?

3. dv8

dv8

MBL has in his flathead V8 powered T roadster. But the way I understand it, those generator/fan setups are hard to find. The setup he used anyway.

I used an original A frame on my '29 pickup with a '51 Mercury flathead. I just stretched the frame a little in the back, and slid the cab and bed back until there was enough room for the flathead to clear the radiator. It looks fine, and I didn't have to cut the firewall.

4. unclerichard

unclerichard
    from Michigan

Doing this right now. If the word "alternator" doesn't bother you, it is possible to get a pulley to mount the fan to and run this in place of the generator. You will need a 13" diameter fan to get all this done. Cheaper than a generator, but no nostalgia look.

5. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I just posted a couple of pictures of a 8BA in a '29 on another thread. I will put the pictures here also.

It is a tight fit and I beat on the firewall where the fuel pump is to get some room. It also had a flex fan on it to save a little room.

Neal

Attached Files:

6. ShiftyRat

ShiftyRat

Thanks for the help guys. I will look for the generator fan setup first MBL used, then if I can't find it I will look at moving the body back a little.