Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1953 DeSoto Kustom Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Lancer, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Lancer

Lancer

Sorry for the delay in posting. To many irons in the fire. Three car projects and working on the new issue of the magazine, its a miracle I am alive. Here are a couple from shaving off the handles. I'll get some more posted up this week.
    10990020_885033414881043_3101915949548864921_n.jpg 10985520_885033421547709_6058738644532273103_n.jpg

2. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

Glad to see a DeSoto being built. Not many show up here. I have a '55 DeSoto Sportsman that I've been trying to sell on this site but no takers. Since people are watching your build I'll throw a pic of mine since you have a great build going on. Good luck.

Attached Files:

• 024.JPG
      024.JPG
      File size:
      225 KB
      Views:
    MyCrustyVW and jakespeed63 like this.
  3. Lancer

Lancer

4. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

Thanks Lancer for allowing me to tag along on your thread. I collect '57-'61 plymouth, dodge, chryslers. I have too many so I'm selling this DeSoto.

5. Lancer

Lancer

@oldwood I could use a steering wheel if you have one lying around. Mine is toast. Not sure which years will fit on the '53.

6. George

George

try www.forwardlook.net

7. 'Mo

'Mo

Have you seen this Photoshop version, by James D? Sweet!

[​IMG]

jakespeed63, drdave and kiwijeff like this.
  8. Lancer

Lancer

Not seen that one. Looks good with a chop.

9. DrJ

DrJ

Are you going to put a '49 Mercury grill in it?

10. Hollister Kopp

Hollister Kopp

11. desotot

desotot

I think it looks good with the desoto back glass. Probably more work than the 49 ford back glass though.

[​IMG]

12. Lancer

Lancer

@desotot well, we are moving the roof forward a few inches so the A pillar matches up. So it changes everything int he back area and makes the stock glass unusable as far as I'm concerned. It looks like they leaned back the A pillars on this Photoshop version so the rear glass works better.

13. That was my image form a very long time ago. I'll help you out if you want to see some photoshop ideas. You're probably right about that back glass being too difficult to do.

14. Those old Desotos are great looking cars, why don't they get much love?
    Wanna sell your grille?, just kidding. :D
    Cool car, hope you get to drive it sooner than later.

15. Lancer

Lancer

@James D
    4" to 4.5" chop is the goal. Will use the same rear glass as the Royal Victoria. Rooflines should look the same when done. We did kick around the idea or using the stock glass and sinking it into the body but it still would have have the look I'm after.
    chop_goal.jpg

16. Don´t know what you have planned regarding colours or side chrome, but the roof idea ought to work out.
    [​IMG]

drdave and 'Mo like this.
  17. Lancer

Lancer

@James D The color of the roof will be HoK Silver Pearl White and the main body will be Kandy Tangerine. All the side moldings are shaved off. That roof line looks pretty spot on. @mlagusis check this out.

18. porky55

porky55

That's bitchin!

Sent from my MB886 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. Here you go...
    [​IMG]

drdave and Lancer like this.
  20. Lancer

Lancer

Thats pretty much it right there. Great work man.

21. Lancer

Lancer

Some quick and dirty clean up. IMG_3283 copy1_zpsa5hozd2m.jpg

OahuEli and drdave like this.
  22. Torchie

Torchie

From the "For what it's worth file"....
    Chopping that roof using the stock rear window does not involve sinking the rear glass. The common practice with 3 piece rear windows is to lay down the center section and fab up some lexon corner pieces. That's the way that the Larry Ernst Chevy Bellaire was done by Barris back in the day. No leaning of the A pillar was done either.
    The other way it is done is to slide the rear window forward and to extend the "Cat walk"between the trunk and the glass. When you bring the rear of the roof down you cut the new window opening up into it .There is quite a bit of crown in that roof right above the rear window that allows for this method.
    I'm sure that what ever you do it will look great.
    Torchie

23. Lancer

Lancer

@Torchie everything you said is correct. So many ways to chop these cars.

24. 'Mo

'Mo

I looked this Olds over reeal close, and believe it to have glass side windows.
    However it was done , they absolutely pulled it off!

[​IMG]

Here is a stocker, for comparison. As was mentioned, there is a lot of roof crown.
    It also appears that the catwalk is shorter.
    I suspect that the chopped version was simply moved forward. (?)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
    jakespeed63 likes this.
  25. Torchie

Torchie

Most likely "Mo. With that style of chop the roof angle look almost most stock. Just lowered. With the Ernst style where the rear window is laid forward you get more of a sloped look to the roof. I have heard of people that claim that they have cut those rear glass side pieces. But I can say that I have personally seen it done.
    I really like the look of the 3 piece window when it is used in a chop as it one of the defining features on these cars. To me it looks very Luxurious. Plus it make most people scratch their head trying to figure out how it was done. But as always that is just my opinion. Going to be different than the usual custom either way. And extremely cool. I dig it!
    Torchie

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  26. atomickustom

atomickustom

I LOVE the Ernst Chevy, but in general I prefer a smaller rear window like the Victoria, my own car, and the photoshop of the DeSoto.

27. desotot

desotot

^^^^ like he said.

28. Subscribed. I really dig your vision on this build. Dynamite body style. Was not a cheap car when new$$.
    Especially like the fact that you are keeping the stock engine. Not an east thing to do. My '64 98 would have been on the road already, if I just "dropped in" an LS driveline, but Want to keep original 394 Rocket. Did take the liberty of updating trans to a TH400(w/modified bellhousing). After owning 5 Slim Jims, I'm ready for a modern transmission.
    JT

29. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This car is so unique, I hope you build it. These body styles are indeed rare and I don't think I have ever seen one. DeSotos are close to my heart because they always took second seat to the Chrysler, yet would have been just as fast as their big brother if given the same attention. It will make an excellent road car. Very appealing and stylish. Good Luck. GO HEMI.

30. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are in luck. The lowdeck Des had much more speed equipment made for them than the highdecks.