Register now to get rid of these ads!

1953 Chevy Bel Air front hubs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THE BRONSON, Nov 20, 2009.

1. THE BRONSON

THE BRONSON

Did a search but came up with nothing, maybe I missed something. What hubs are interchangeable on a 53 Chevy sedan. Im going to pick up a 53 but it is missing the front hubs and need something to throw on to put it on a trailer. Any help would be appreciated.

cheers

2. rfstx1010

rfstx1010
    from Bear, DE

According to Hollander you can use any 51 to 54 Chevy car and 53 to 60 Corvette hub, and 61 62 Corvette. Hope this helps.

3. Just to make it roll you can use 49-50 Chevy car as well, maybe even earlier than that but they're six lug so finding roller tires that hold air that aren't huge tires for a later 4x4 could be an issue. Maybe would have to pull the backing plates off to clear the drums, maybe not. Either way if there's any brake hardware left on the '53 you'll need to remove it (wheel cylinders can probably stay ok).

Or do what I once did - jack it up high enough to clear the trailer by a few inches and use those garage dollies under the front to feed it on (let the weight back down onto them) - they won't roll up ramps but will roll ok on a clean trailer deck. I got a '50 fastback on a trailer that way with a hand winch. Rearend was only attached on one side in that car, too. A little more hassle than just rolling one on on four wheels but not too bad.

4. Unsafe6

Unsafe6

You can use 47-54 chev truck drums & hubs. They use 6 stud truck wheels. swap directly.

5. squirrel

squirrel

the 50 and older drums are different than the 51 and newer drums, so don't expect to be able to swap on anything direct fit if it has drums on it, except for 51-54 car 5 lug and 51-59 truck 6 lug

6. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

I got some old hubs i could give ya. price of shippings around 30 bucks i think, lemme know if ya need em an i'll get an exect price for ya

7. THE BRONSON

THE BRONSON

Oilslinger53 thanks, sent you PM

8. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

I also have a complete set ,

But MAN

I don't think it would be any deal to get them shipped from N.C.

Them babys are heavy!