Register now to get rid of these ads!

1953 Chevy 210 235 fuel problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JSanford1974, Aug 2, 2010.

1. JSanford1974

JSanford1974

I'm new at this, and I have searched.

I'm trying to get fuel to my carb on my 235. I bought a new fuel pump, and I still can't get fuel to the carb. If you compress the new pump, you can get pressure into the inlet side. So the pump seems to be working. What drives the fuel pump inside the motor? Can this part be broken?

I tried starting the motor with a fuel line directly from the fuel pump into a gas can. I still couldn't get fuel into the line. I can get the motor to run if I poor gas into the carb. Since I can't get fuel, I'm thinking about putting a small 1-5 psi electric pump on it and be done with it.

Any help?

2. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

We just went thru some of this on my wife's 57 Chev with the 235 six. Turns out the little sintered bronze filter on the inlet of the carb had become clogged up. You can't see this filter until you remove the gas line to the carb inlet fitting. The filter sits inside the inlet fitting with a little spring and washer. If your carb has this filter, remove it and try to blow air thru it (yep...I wiped it off and used my mouth...). You couldnt blow ANYTHING thru our dirty filter. As a test, we reconnected the gas line and she started right up and ran like a top. Bought a new filter at the local parts house and all is good. We had already replaced the fuel pump, which was kind of old and nasty looking, but it wasnt really the problem. A test with a vacuum gauge/fuel pressure gauge willl also tell you if the pump is working correctly. Let us know what you find.

3. JSanford1974

JSanford1974

I don't think that's the problem. I took the 5 ft hose I was using to put in the gas can and filled it with fuel. I attached it to the new fuel filter and held the line up high so the gas would flow down to the carb. The motor cranked and ran until the line ran out of gas.

4. Unsafe6

Unsafe6

Sound like the pump is backwards or the vales are hardened up if it's got presure on the inlet side?

5. 52HardTop

52HardTop

The fuel pump arm rides on the top of a cam lobe just inside the block where the pump bolts up. You may want to check that the arm on the pump is on the top side of the cam lobe. You might have installed the pump with the arm under the cam lobe? Just one thing to check
    Dom

6. JSanford1974

JSanford1974

I double check that.

7. Snarl

Snarl

Yeah, a stovebolt fuel pump looks like it's installed upside-down when compared to a V8. The pump arm should point upwards.

Sometimes a mechanical pump can't suck fuel from the tank, if the tank were run dry for example. Applying some air pressure to the tank usually cures this condition.

8. ems customer service

ems customer service

is the new , rebuilt, or old stock , the stock pump is enough to run the motor, i would use a electric as only a test to se if the lines from the tank and to the carb or ok,

if electric works then the new pump is bad

9. JSanford1974

JSanford1974

Thanks guys. I got her running. I took the fuel pump off and reinstalled it. I felt some tension while installing it this time. I also compressed the fuel tank and got fuel to the pump. And I got my wife to pressurize the tank while I tried to start it. It cranked and ran. I actually got to drive it around the yard with my wife and kids. I'm stoked now. But now I've got fuel dripping out of the carb. So I guess it's time to rebuild the carb. Thanks again. Many thanks to the HAMB!

10. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

11. JSanford1974

JSanford1974

Thanks for that link. I got nothing to loose to try it. I've never rebuilt a carb, but I'll give it a try.

12. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Its way easier than you think. Go for it and holler if you have any problems.

13. JSanford1974

JSanford1974

14. medicinal_marinara

medicinal_marinara
    from Oregon

It sounds like you have an obstruction in your tank, which is probably covering up the outlet and keeping fuel from flowing to the carb. Mechanical fuel pumps really don't like to suck, they really can only push fuel. Pull the fuel line off from the tank side of the pump and see if you get some decent flow before you go blaming the pump.

15. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

16. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Rochester B's are notorious for the fuel draining/evaporating out if you don't drive it every day. Once that fuel drains out, its near impossible to start. Try pouring a little gasoline into the little tube on top of the car. Should start right up. It helps to use a soda bottle or something similar. My '55 chevy truck came with a soda bottle full of fuel beside the gas tank, lol.

There's a lot of reasons I don't like electric fuel pumps. Not needed extra expense, dangerous in a crash or engine cutting out, not quite my definition of whatever they're calling "traditional" nowadays, just to mention some names.

17. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

I was having the same problem. I just rebuilt the entire fuel system. Bam! 1200 miles later, still purrin'!

18. JSanford1974

JSanford1974

I found an air leak in the IN fitting to the fuel pump. I cross threaded the fitting. I think that was my problem. I fixed it. And so far, it cranks everytime and runs great. I do have to pour gas into the carb for it to crank. But it cranks fine. Now onto the carb rebuild. Once I rebuild the carb, the entire fuel system will be new. So I'm hoping it runs good after that.
    Thanks for all the help.

19. Had similar issues with a 216 and a twin pot intake with model B's not starting after sitting. WIth the old 6 volt it could not get going fast enough to get fuel and still start reliably. I switched to 12 volts and it spins fast enough to suck up fuel and fill the carbs after sitting.

20. JSanford1974

JSanford1974

Thou shall not believe the previous owner......................

I was told the car had all new fuel lines. It had a new line from the hardline to the fuel pump. But it was transmission oil coolant line, and it looked like the gas was deteriating the line, stopping up my fuel filter. I also had a 4 inch piece of transmission line right after the gas tank to the hard line. It was crimped pretty bad.

I replaced all the transmission cooler hose with fuel hose. I replaced the spark plugs, and I rebuilt the carb (VERY easy on this one). Runs great. I actually got to drive it down the road. But I think the timing needs adjusting. Thanks for all the ideas.

21. Flappnfenders

Flappnfenders
    from carrollton

I'm having a fuel problem also on my 235. It's a mechanical pump. And if I let it sit and idle for awhile it ends of dieing on me if I drive it but if I drive it and don't let it idle then I'm OK. But like I pulled in a gas station and left it running then came out and left and it died before I got out of parking lot then I have to crank it and crank it before I get it started. Please help