Register now to get rid of these ads!

1953 Chevrolet rear vent windows?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Skankin' Rat Fink, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

I need some car history buffs to help me out here. I didn't think 1953 Chevrolet rear vent windows existed. My 1954 Pontiac has rear vent windows, and I thought they were Pontiac exclusive.

[​IMG]

But then I was watching this old advertisement for the 1953 Chevrolet, and sure enough, I spotted the Pontiac-style rear vent windows in the 4-door demo model.

Interestingly enough, these vent windows also appear in the Chevy brochure for that year.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Before I came across this YouTube video, I had never seen a '53-'54 Chevrolet with rear vent windows. So what's the deal? Were they an obscure option? Was this feature changed before the car reached market?

[​IMG]

2. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Stop the video at 11:57 and you'll see a disclaimer stating "Rear door ventipanes shown on Four Door Sedans are not available." This must have been a last-minute change before production. So unless a '53 sedan prototype turns up, it looks like there aren't any like that around.

3. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Oh wow, there it is. I didn't make it that far into the video. :eek: