Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1953 Battle Cry "DEATH TO ALL JALOPIES !!!"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Harms Way

Harms Way

Sort'a makes a good case for all the dreaded "HOARDERS",... HUH ? :D

2. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

........a mirror of the human condition.
    Whining Detroit Auto Makers and nanny-society bleeding hearts attempting to sell their new product and spread their ill-will at the expense of being logical..............

It's obvious to me that their shit-house logic failed with the majority of the motoring public. That was then. Will we be so lucky this time around in the new millinium? Time will only tell. Many of you boys will be around twenty years from now, I'll be pushin' up daisies. Good luck.

3. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

I dig the guys pants jacked up just below his man boobs, while standing with a profoundly stupid look on his face in pic #1.

4. Zerk

Zerk

I bet that cheap gin and a few quarts of beer had more to do with those fatalities than the jalopies.

And Chevy had at that time the biggest marketing machine for their used car operations: the famed "OK Used Cars" that supposedly passed a lengthy safety checklist before Chevrolet dealers would sell them. They WEREN'T jalopies, I guess. At least, not like those unapproved cars in the pictures.

So jalopies and guns can kill you. Books can poison young minds, and Rock&Roll is a tool of the Devil, with its hypnotic beat and insidious message.

Maybe Grandpa was an idiot.

5. von zipper

von zipper

Seems to me that history just repeated itself!! I just hope this doesn't happen to us 'hobbiest's taking our cars away for safety air pollution or anything else they can drum up!!! while big business pollutes more than us!!

6. bobjob55

bobjob55

this was nothing more than a ploy to sell some cars ... those jalopies were built to last ,,, they are still on the road today.. some 60-70 years later... that's when they came-up with planned obsolescence ..how many cars built in the last 20+ years are still on the road and would be on road in 20-30 years ??? not too many if any at all.... it's all about the all mighty dollar,, and not about the people....
    ........PROFIT,,, PROFIT ,,, PROFIT,,,,,,,,

7. fitzee

fitzee

It must of cost a few dollars to pull something like this off. Think about it.Renting the trucks,fuel,scrap yard costs.Closing the streets.Wonder if it worked?? I know the sighs were powerful

8. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

"one man's junk is another man's treasure"

Dad used to take me to the jalopy races every couple of sundays in the late 50's and early 60's. Darn fun stuff for a kid to watch these guys bash the crap outta their cars. They'd smash 'em up and by next week they'd have another one. Sure, when looking at it from today's stand-point it's awful, but 50 years ago it sure wasn't.
    Worth of any object changes over time.
    Kind of like when my Dad sold his 1967 Shelby GT500 for $2400.
    Or when I sold my 1967 Corvette 427/435 HP for $2200.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Anderhart Speed

Anderhart Speed

Fact of life. Humans love destruction. How many other animals in the world destroy for pleasure (money being pleasure in this instance-ploy to sell new vehicles). But we have the same thing now with the "cash for clunkers" deal.

Cool pics though!

10. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

11. Von Franco

Von Franco

That was FUCKING awesome , hey I see A new car club name The Jalopy Killers ha ha..

12. rottenrod

rottenrod

my thoughts exactly kinda ironic huh?

13. 139th and western???? What was this????

It sounds close to raceway park, but no cigar...

14. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Gardena, just south of Los Angeles

15. jamesgr81

jamesgr81

That was the old Gardena Stadium. Long gone now. They had a lot of races there televised on local TV. Destruction Derby and figure eights too if I remember right. Was on the old Nascar circuit and the big time locals ran. Parnelli Jones, Bettenhausen, and so on. Loved to watch races on tv when I was a kid. Whoa Nelly! If you go to Pomona NHRA or Justice Bros musem you can some cars and memorabilia from Gardena Stadium.

16. gearhead49

gearhead49

I love my Jalopy!!!
    A typical witch hunt for the time.
    If you had a Jalopy or rode a motorcycle you were labeled troubled youth.
    How times have changed

17. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Glad Mazooma posted the race photos. It's pictures like those that make me sad as it's the kind of cars we all hold dear. Just think if racing hadn't of taken so many choice cars an orgional '32 3 window could probably be bought for somewhere around $60-100,000 instead of $75-120,000 that's the standard of today. Easily in the affordability range of the average teenager working at Walmart:eek::rolleyes:

Frank

18. Oh... Thanks.... I was wondering why a poster for a chicago place woulda been printed in L.A.
    Duh....

19. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Such a deal for Speedway Wrecking....makes me kinda sick!:(

20. joedoh

joedoh
    from Wichita KS

babe ruth story was released in 1948 according to imdb.com. some of those city shots are breathtaking, truly formidable architecture that was still "new".

thousands of dodge neons are crushed every year, maybe in 62 years they will call us fn pricks because they have a website about the mighty dodge neon. My point is, who could know, looking at those pictures gives me the idea that wide white walls sell better today than they did then.

21. ngafreeride

ngafreeride
    BANNED
    from Georgia

22. Harms Way

Harms Way

23. cj92345

cj92345
    from so-cal

GM needs to do this again with toyota's

24. autobilly

autobilly

Publicity/sales stunt, nothing to do with motor vehicle roadworthiness or civic duty!
    All road deaths are terrible, but are the drivers to take any responsibility or was each accident the car's fault as implied by the signs? I think not.

25. Scare the folks witless so they go buy a new car! Get deeper into debt! Why, it's the American Dream!
    Right from Henry MIller's "The Air Conditioned Nighmare"...

26. Dirk35

Dirk35

Scam, grandpa style.

Look at the dents and wreckage, or more specifically lack there of in the picts of them being towed. Granted, there are a couple that have enough damage that couldve actually killed somebody, but for the most part those are wear and tear dents at best. If you look at the 34 Sedan in the 3rd pic down, it looks more like a person hit the car with a downward swinging motion than any wreckage that the vehicle in motion wouldve caused.

I too call BS.......... total marketing scam to sell more cars. I hate people.

27. And I thought northerly island was a new name, but it says norterly island right on the side of the truck.

28. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

i'm going to be sick.......................

29. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

You mean the democrats didn't come up with the C.F.C. program all by theirselves???? What is this world coming to???????

30. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

Sad, but thats the way it was then. Wish I had that stainless hood trim on that 34 Chev Master. Back pre internet.