Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1953 210 build thread (josie)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mrconcdid, Oct 22, 2010.

1. sololobo

sololobo

Lookin good like a 53 should. Keep on rockin bro. ~Sololobo~

2. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

Yea , I like these cars also , just picked ths one up around a week ago , I think my Dad is gonna do something with it....:D..........BTW , you dont have any grill parts lying around down south , do ya?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  3. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Wanted to roll her out in the sunshine (36 degrees), couldn't help myself, threw on the clip and layed her out. What do you think?

Next up;
    Pedals, steering, Repair dash, wire it and fire it, install air tank and compressor
    then the body work begins

Attached Files:

4. Barnfind 56

Barnfind 56

The stance is awesome!

5. rebstew187

rebstew187

6. 1955 LEDSLED

1955 LEDSLED
    from LONG BEACH

It's looking good!!!! Keep us posted on the build.

7. glasshole

glasshole

Awesome build. I have owned a 53 for 24 yrs and undecided what route to take.Like what your doing......very clean.

Bill

8. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Thanks for all the comments, I just found out the Hot Rod Power Tour will be starting in Florida this upcomming year (2011) . I have never been and is something I would like to try. I wont be able to make the whole run but plan on doing the florida/georgia leg. The 53 wont be finished ( they never are ) but should be a dependable driver by then so that is my goal now, to have as much done by then.
    Thanks again.

9. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

The dash as been giving me fits, it was completely rusted out from a leaky windshield. so I had to cut the lower 3 inches off the dash and rebuild it. I took this oppertunity to shave the openings in the dash I didnt need or want. I going to move the radio closer the the colume and get rid of the factory blanks.
    The S-10 pedal assmbely mounts to the dash and the firewall, so I really needed to fix the dash first. Its all tacked up, I will shape it a bit before the next round of tacks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  10. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

You even had rust in the dash....damn!!! Cars looking good bro keep up the work n updates.

11. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

I have been busy but it dosn't really show much

I have added 4inches to the trans tunnel and started to raise the driveshaft hump, fabed up a brake pedal bracket and mounted the master cylinder and brake booster, cut down the colume and I am working on it now, finshed smoothing the dash and getting ready for primer.

Attached Files:

12. robleticia

robleticia

Looking good! Go man go!

13. sgnova72

sgnova72

Subscribed.

Car looks great. Stance is perfect IMHO. I'll keep watching for the updates.

14. slick39

slick39
    from dallas ,ga

kool will be watching this one

15. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Wow time fly's, Here are some updates
    Dash is smooth and in primer and the firewall is filled and smoothed ( first pass ).
    Hope to finish the firewall this weekend and put down some undercoating and seem sealer on the floors.
    Then set the motor back in and figure out steering and wiring harness inside.

Is anyone using the gauge cluster off ebay for these cars? I have been considering it. Also who has a good price on steering joints and DD shaft?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

16. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Looking good bro..keep at it!!

17. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

UPDATE

Well as of last night the Steering cloume is in and a cover plate to locate the bottem of the colume was made, Brake pedal and accelerator installed as well as the brake booster and master cylinder. Since the last pics the firewall is smoothed and primed and the floors seem sealed and undercoated. and the stock front seat installed.

things you dont see:
    I raised the colume at the dash 1 inch and lowered in the firewall also 1 inch to give me alittle more leg room. the pedals are from a 85 S-10 and I had to rework the brake pedal to come down on the left of the colume and dog leg over.

I was able to get a 1.5 od x 3/4 id sealed bearing and DD the stock shaft so I could keep the factory wheel and colume.

I raised the trans tunnel 3 inch and widened it 4 inches. Recessed the fire wall 3 inchs and smoothed out all the holes. I plan on locating the battery on the firewall on the passenger side, I should be able to hide all the wiring behind the dash.

Up Next:
    Im going to run a stand alone "RUN" wiring harness and the a seperate harness for all the accesories. Keeping it simple is the key.
    Paint the motor and build a battery tray, reinstall motor and plumb brakes and fuel.

Attached Files:

18. jwl53

jwl53
    from So cal

Lookin good. Keep the pics coming. Building 53 ht myself. Seems like it never ends.

19. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

alittle update

tring to place a radiator and battery, do any of you still run the stock raditor with a V-8? My plan was to use the caddy rad but i would have to build a new core support. plan B is to add a tranny cooler on the stock rad and build a fan shroud. any thoughts?
    As for the battery im thinking passenger side firewall, but i like a group 24 battery which takes up alot of space.

Attached Files:

20. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

looking good. im glad there are people like you (and me) who can use mostly used parts off other cars and their mind instead of their check book and a phone.

21. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

i think my buddy ran a 283 in his 54' using the stock powerglide radiator...

22. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Thanks for the encourgment. Being broke is the mother of invention.
    I have the front clip back on now, I truley understand the term " thats a hood full "now!

23. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Im trying to fit a Radiator now, got the brakes plumbed but not filled. the power steering pump hangs off the driver side. I needed to shim it out to line up with the water pump pulley.
    tonight I hope to get the battery tray mounted on the firewall and put the power steering pump back on.

Its not much of an update just all the little odds and ends.

I am considering building a new core support, I know the stock support is the channel the Rad sits in, Im thinking of making a piece to connect the two fenders together accross the top and build down to the original frame mount. Much like modern cars are built. This would open the whole area up for more radiator room, any thoughts?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  24. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Radiator is in and battery tray built. The radiator is a summit ( griffen brand ) My main concern was to keep the mechanical fan, So I placed it infront of the core support. Doing this allowed me to run a larger unit.

Up next; tranny cooler,install a muffer and wiring it up.

I hope to start it in the next week or two. I'm Trying hard to make it to the power tour 2011.

Attached Files:

25. Gabriel Howard

Gabriel Howard
    from OKC
    1. Okie Hambers

looks great, subscribed

26. Your work is way beyond anything i can do. i hope you build some kind of shroud over the fan before you ever crank it over. Hate to see anything bad happen to you. Love cars with that in the dirt look, and you definately got that going on. Can't wait to see it finished.

27. ZombieMike

ZombieMike
    from Apopka, FL

Man, sweet build! Where are you at in FL? I'm over in Orlando and would love to check that car out man and maybe give you a hand.

28. cederholm

cederholm

Subscribed!!! Love it!

29. eddie_zapien

eddie_zapien

Great work! Some of the things I see people do with their 53/54's make me feel liek a chump driving a around in my bone stock 54... Keep it up!

30. sololobo

sololobo

Cool build and great work on the body off and helpin the other cat with some hints to do the same. H.A.MB. helps brothers and sisters!! Rock on cat ~sololobo~