Register now to get rid of these ads!

1953-1956 f100 gas tank relocation ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fryguy, Sep 2, 2011.

1. fryguy

fryguy

Working on a gas tank relocation for a '55 f100. Previous owner removed the stock gas tank and welded up the fill hole and just mounted the stock gas tank in the bed of the truck(not good). I have heard bits and pieces of others using later model truck gas tanks that mount under the bed between the rear frame rails, pollsibly Ford Ranger or Chevy Blazer? Has anyone does this and can remember what they used?

Fryguy

2. I know a guy here with a nice '55 who mounted a later, (like '66) Mustang tank under the bed behind the rear axle. I think he has a trap door in the bed to access the filler. In my opinion it looks a little awkward but might be okay if it were mounted a little higher and had a rolled pan or something to cover it.

3. 8flat

8flat

I've heard the same thing works OK. I would also add a crossmember right behind the tank just in case some soccer mom rear-ends you whilst texting, fixing her hair, and slurping a carmel machiato all at the same time....

4. fryguy

fryguy

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping to see if I could get first hand knowledge of what has definitely worked for some.

Adding another crossmember behind the tank does sound like a good idea as well

5. 8flat

8flat

A google search will show a few examples. I was going to do this before I decided to leave my F1 bone stock on the outside. Here's a guy that used a bronco tank:
    http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/displayalbum.php?userid=201514&albumid=24084

6. ijust did my 48 f-1. i used a 70 mustang 24 gal tank, from mustangs unlimited out of atlanta of i-85. made some brackets and slid it in place at the rear of the frame. still could access the bumper brackets. the whole deal was like 129.00 plus tax

7. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

Put a Mustang tank below the bed in my 52. Had to move a crossmember but worked out fine other than that.

8. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

80's Suburbans and Blazers... They have 26-gallon, and deeper 31-gallon tanks. I have the 31-gallon version in my '56 F-100 under the bed, behind the rear axle.

9. Tacson

Tacson

FryGuy,

I used something similiar to what TexasHardcore mentioned. See this post.
    http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/449112-gas-tank-in-a-1954-a.html

10. texaspackman

texaspackman

I was thinking of using a half barrel ( 15.5 gal ) stainless beer keg strapped on its side inside the the bed right behind the cab. Cut a hole and weld a short filler neck to it.

11. Rookie1

Rookie1

try a summit fuel cell, i'll try loading some pictures into my file.